Sign in to follow this  
Lude2Envy

g2d.dll CTD

I cannot seem to complete a single flight without getting a g2d.dll CTD. None of the posts I've found online can provide a solution. Does anyone know anything about this issue and how to troubleshoot and fix it? The only addons I'm currently running are the NGX, ASN and the Aivlasoft EFB on my client, FTX Global, and REX 4 TD w/Soft Clouds. I was getting the problem even before I reinstalled FTX Global and REX. I've also been getting the CTD with the last few NV drivers to come out. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Hi Lude2Envy,

I don't use any of the addon's you are using (NGX, ASN or EFB), so can't help you with that. But, a group of us were quite badly affected by g2d.dll related CTDs in P3D 2.5xxx.

For us atleast, it emerged that the issue was related to a couple of LUA libraries that interface with P3D. Specifically, the libraries were ipc.display and ipc.setowndisplay (basically, the crashes were happening due to the onscreen messages being displayed by these libraries). Disabling these libraries has fixed the crashes for us. We had needed those libraries for custom built LUA scripts for interfacing our physical cockpits. 

I had posted on the P3D forums also (with detailed logs), but didn't hear anything from the developers. The gentleman who had coded the scripts himself debugged the issues for us.

I know this post might not help you with your problems, but as a user you might never really know which add on is incorrectly interfering with what module at what level in P3D and causing those crashes, except, if it is a g2d.dll related crash, it's the display of 2D panels/windows that is probably causing the crashes. If you can figure out a way to avoid them, you might be able to make some progress. 

Just thought, I must share my experience with you. Just in case, it helps some one else. 

Cheers, and happy virtual aviating.

I got several ctd's like that cause an excessive overclocking. Lowering OC a bit and CTDs dissapeared.

Javier

Hi Lude2Envy,

I don't use any of the addon's you are using (NGX, ASN or EFB), so can't help you with that. But, a group of us were quite badly affected by g2d.dll related CTDs in P3D 2.5xxx.

For us atleast, it emerged that the issue was related to a couple of LUA libraries that interface with P3D. Specifically, the libraries were ipc.display and ipc.setowndisplay (basically, the crashes were happening due to the onscreen messages being displayed by these libraries). Disabling these libraries has fixed the crashes for us. We had needed those libraries for custom built LUA scripts for interfacing our physical cockpits. 

I had posted on the P3D forums also (with detailed logs), but didn't hear anything from the developers. The gentleman who had coded the scripts himself debugged the issues for us.

I know this post might not help you with your problems, but as a user you might never really know which add on is incorrectly interfering with what module at what level in P3D and causing those crashes, except, if it is a g2d.dll related crash, it's the display of 2D panels/windows that is probably causing the crashes. If you can figure out a way to avoid them, you might be able to make some progress. 

Just thought, I must share my experience with you. Just in case, it helps some one else. 

Cheers, and happy virtual aviating.

I appreciate the feedback. Unfortunately, completely avoiding all 2D windows isn't practical. I can't complete a single flight without getting a CTD. 

According to page 12, AVSIM CTD Guide:

G2D.dll - The g2d.dll is indicated as the faulting module in the crash report. This module handles plain text messages, like the frame rate counter and those other plain text messages you see periodically while running P3D and the plain text words in the P3D Menu, like the words Options, View, etc.  There may be something corrupted in your dll.xml which loads menu items. It has been fixed by rebuilding the P3D.cfg (deleting or renaming the P3D.cfg and then restarting P3D).  Some others have fixed this problem by uninstalling/reinstalling the video card drivers or going back to a previous version.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10