Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

The correct use of 122.8?

EDIT:  Don't worry, I found the answer on VATSIM FAQ

Hi all

In VATSIM terms what is the expected correct use of the Unicom frequency?  

To use a scenario...I'm at EGKK, with an active ground controller.  The controller announces that he's logging off and for all to monitor 122.8. In the real world at unmanned airfields, you would normally ID yourself and state your position and your intention on the radio to all traffic in the area.  But on VATSIM yesterday, all I saw were numerous random,very badly constructed txt messages which actually left out significant pieces of info.    I heard nobody actually talking on the frequency.  Is voice tranmission expected on 122.8  If not, then 'monitoring' Unicom is useless.  Also, does 122.8 transmission have a limited range?

cheers

erich

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The use of unicom is only for text message, where you tell your intention and read other's intention.

If there isn't any traffic (check your TCAS) you can avoid but it's a good behave, someone can be very quick to connect and taxi.

Text message are visible once you are online on your client, the old one's don't shows up, so you never know other previous intention.

The range of the 122.8 is in the location where you flying.

If you fly UK, you will not get message from KSFO range, but if you fly there you will get it all the traffic around there.

Hi Erich,

122.8 is all text, no voice. In principle you should follow standard procedures and identify yourself and your intentions, but there is one big difference between Vatsim and real life: you can monitor traffic on Vattastic.com, Vatview.com and so on, so that (also because of comparatively low traffic rates) the need to communicate is reduced.

Many people therefore proceed as follows: start a Vatsim session, dial 122.8 and check the traffic on Vattastic.com. If there is no other airplane targeting the airport where you are, there is no urgent need to state your intentions, so you can simply remain silent. Start your flight, depart and keep looking for other traffic. Communicate as necessary.

At popular airports such as EGKK I would always communicate simply because there is a chance that other people may suddenly join. And yes, some people always forget some minor details such as at which airport they are, but using Vattastic or similar tools you can always figure that out.

Best,

Peter

Hi Erich,

122.8 is all text, no voice. In principle you should follow standard procedures and identify yourself and your intentions, but there is one big difference between Vatsim and real life: you can monitor traffic on Vattastic.com, Vatview.com and so on, so that (also because of comparatively low traffic rates) the need to communicate is reduced.

Many people therefore proceed as follows: start a Vatsim session, dial 122.8 and check the traffic on Vattastic.com. If there is no other airplane targeting the airport where you are, there is no urgent need to state your intentions, so you can simply remain silent. Start your flight, depart and keep looking for other traffic. Communicate as necessary.

At popular airports such as EGKK I would always communicate simply because there is a chance that other people may suddenly join. And yes, some people always forget some minor details such as at which airport they are, but using Vattastic or similar tools you can always figure that out.

Best,

Peter

Peter, 

Thanks.  That's a sensible approach. (no pun intended).  :)

Hi,

Sorry if I'm bumping the thread! UNICOM as 122.800 is referred on VATSIM as a text message system to others so they know information. (e.g: No controllers on Dubai or emirates airspace, change to UNICOM 122.800, OMDB tfc: Inbound ILS30L, descending to 3000ft.) basically its for you to just tell whats happening and what you are doing (NOT CONTROLLING).

I'm making a guide for new VATSIM pilots.

Kind regards,

Chriss