Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

qqwertz

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by qqwertz

  1. qqwertz replied to birdguy's topic in Hangar Chat
    I think there is a perfect explanation for this, although I might have gotten it wrong ;)
  2. With Brian's help the problem was resolved. I just love Avsim and its users :) Thanks a lot, Brian. Peter
  3. I could use a bit of help with the paint kit for the A220 for MSFS 2024. Of course I tried their Discord, but I didn't get any answers. Maybe a friendly Avsim expert could point out what I am doing wrong. I am trying to use the Blender 3D model. As usual, the textures are not provided in png format, so I created 4 off-white 4k images for the four parts of the fuselage livery. A Photoshop file is provided for all four of them together, in 4k x 16k format, but I think my problem is entirely related to Blender. For some reason, if I paint one part, the other three parts are painted as well. I have specified four different 4k x 4k texture files with number 1001 - 1004, but Blender always replaces these numbers by <UDIM>. I tried to create a single 4k x 16k image file for the entire livery, but when I paint the first of four parts, that is stretched over the entire 16k width of that image. In other words, all four parts are painted again. Somehow I cannot get the texture mapping right. If anyone could point me to a video or other resource that would be great. Thanks, Peter
  4. I haven't watched the video either, but there is a minimal amount of energy required to store information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landauer%27s_principle So, yes, at some point you cannot know more, but we are still pretty far away from that limit. As for the graviton, researchers already discuss ideas how to demonstrate its existence using interferometry with nano-diamonds, but it will take a long time until those experiments could be realized. Also, it is quite possible that the graviton is just a fiction. The best experiments can resolve structures of about 10^-18 meters, and graviton physics only becomes relevant around 10^-35 meters. That's 17 orders of magnitude about which you assume that nothing new happens there. That is comparable to being only able to measure objects that are many meters large (say, around Isaac Newton's time or even earlier) and then infer you have an idea how the atomic nucleus works.
  5. I am with Ron on this. Streaming means additional energy usage compared to having it on a local hard drive. Plus, stuff on the market place is encrypted. That means you cannot access all configuration data, which can be a pain int the behind if you want to paint a livery or extract some data for 3rd-party addons. I avoid Market Place if I can and I will gladly wait the 3 months.
  6. If I read it correctly, they measured a single event. Definitely interesting for experimental particle physicists, but still far away from identifying what dark matter is.
  7. I tried to find out if the Inibuild version is also encrypted on their Discord forum. I don't buy encrypted planes anymore, I cannot properly paint them and get the performance data I need for some applications. Instead of a response, or even an explanation why they won't respond, they just removed my post. Well, guess who will not buy a Synaptic plane.
  8. The B200 is OK, but has a few things that irritate me. I think stall speed is much higher than what the ribbons show on the speed-o-meter, and I couldn't find a way to map autopilot buttons to my hardware. Also, painting the model is a pain in the behind, in case you want to create your own livery. Having said that, it is a beautiful model and flies generally fine.
  9. I don't think there is a "best" career addon, since it is a very personal thing to decide which mix is the best for you. I personally don't like addons that make me start in a small plane because I have many years of simming experience and want to fly my favorite planes right away. I thought I would like a very realistic addon and extensively tested On Air. It is very good, but the realism also limits what you can do; for instance, you can't own a plane and fly on two different continents with it. Instead, I came to enjoy Fly The Line a lot. And then there is the option to join a virtual airline. Mine (Canada Air Virtual) offers a lot of things for free that you also find in career addons, and it has the added benefit of providing a community. Other aspects to consider are: how much airline management do you want to do? If you just want to fly, Fly The Line and A Pilot's Life 2 are very good choices. If you want to manage personnel and finances of an airline, On Air, Airline2Sim or Air Hauler are good. And then there are tools like Self Loading Cargo that focus on passenger management. Lots to think about, but the beauty is that you can always change your mind and try another addon that works differently. Peter
  10. I use this: https://www.octavi.net/ Easy to remeber where the buttons are
  11. Depends on what you want to use voice recognition for. I am only using it for ATC. With Beyond ATC, it works great right out of the box.
  12. Well, in the old times, you had to pay for a subscription to get your local newspaper delivered. If you consider a paywall as the new way to finance investigative journalism, then it is money well spent. I am paying a subscription fee for one international journal. When it comes to English news resources, I personally find BBC (UK), CBC (Canada), and CNN (USA) to be trustworthy and freely available resources that keep facts and opinions reasonably well separated.
  13. I am quite happy with the products I bought from Aerosoft. And that was quite a few over many years.
  14. A big plus of Active Sky is historical weather. Sometimes, you may want to fly under weather conditions how they were half a year ago, and AS can provide that. MSFS only has the last 24 hours. Regarding turbulences: I might be wrong since I don't own FSRealistic, but my impression was that it mainly adds visual and camera effects. That may look like a turbulence, but it would not affect the flight dynamics of the airplane. AS turbulences do that.
  15. When we are young, we lead a more active lifestyle, moving a lot. As we get older, we move more slowly. And since relativity tells us that moving clocks go slower, we age faster when we get older :)
  16. And it will take a few weeks/months until it will be available at other vendors. That's particularly relevant if you owned v1. I bought v1 from Simmarket, and the (substantial) discount for owners of v1 will only be applied at the store were you bought it. I'll have to wait.
  17. I once asked ChatGPT to create a Blender model for our house from a Google Street View photo. The result was most entertaining, but it didn't look remotely like a house. Sure, that was just a single query, and I am sure one can train AI to do that properly. But it would need serious efforts and would almost certainly require a company and a lot of investments to create individual buildings in a satisfactory way. Peter
  18. I didn't expect that, but I am so happy. The PMDG plane that I enjoy the most :)
  19. Just visited the site: "Launching soon" ?!
  20. When I grew up in Germany, we had tons of them every May. They are attracted to light and we had to keep windows closed in the evening to avoid having dozens of them inside our home. I now live at Canada'a East coast, where we have a similar phenomenon with the slightly smaller June bugs. Their scientific name is Phallophaga .. sorry, Phyllophaga :)
  21. Same here: BS is really good, but A2A still has a little bit of an edge. There is their own physics generator for the flight model, but I also love the A2A walk-around (has a few more features) and in particular the state preservation, which is much more comprehensive than for BS airplanes. Having said that, I tend to fly BS airplanes more, simply because they are more to my taste compared to the models that A2A picks. Peter
  22. Can anyone tell me if GSX Pro now sets the number of passengers and crew correctly, according to, say, a Simbrief flight plan? I just don't want to see two pilots, four flight attendants, and 3 passengers board a Cessna.
  23. It will be a free update. You can fly any plane you want and also fly cargo planes. One problem is that cargo airlines do not often work on a schedule, or do not publish schedules. But nothing will stop you from creating your own cargo airline and create a schedule for it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.