Hi guys just installed my new 28 inches samsung 4k resolution 3840x2160.....my video card is GTX 780 ...frames went down from 33 stable to 16.....any ideas ?????

connection is HDMI to monitor DVI from PC

Thanks

Peter

Some of the Samsungs upscale pretty well.

What does the Samsung look like at 1080 resolution?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Im chiming in because im a owner of Samsung UHD 4k Monitor. I run it pretty well now with my Asus Strix 970GTX before I had to play around with optimal settings. On desktop I use 4k resoulution and the monitor is pretty upscaling and clear and crisp. P3D 2.5 I run with 4k but had to put the sliders a notch down and get around 25 fps but smooth and crisp, also with the duke and both pmdgs.

regards

Michael

to be honest I never tested the 4k with the gtx 970..i was do freak out with having my fps from 33 stable almost any ware down to 14 fps that immediately returned back...maybe a mistake..I didt returned the Samsung 4k ..I am planning to keep until I get more information here.....some folks say 780 or 970 is almost same thing...looking at the specification they all are 4Gb memory the only thing I see different is the CUDA CORES . Can some one please let me know what that is?.....GTX 980 has 2848 cuda cores  ...the 970 has 1664 cuda cores and the 780 2304....but they all are 4GB standard memory config....I am very confuse here....oh I forgot ot the base clock seems to be Little more higher on the 980 with 1126...but I have no idea if I should go by those numbers

Thanks

the Samsung 4K was 499$ 

The 970 works well in 4k on my other p3d PC (3960x) ... Surprised me. But at KSFO or KLAX with those settings and add-one you listed I doubt my Titan X PC could sustain a solid 30 fps.

$400 for a 4k monitor, wow that's cheap ... How's the image quality and supported Hz?

Cheers, Rob

to be honest I never tested the 4k with the gtx 970..i was do freak out with having my fps from 33 stable almost any ware down to 14 fps that immediately returned back...maybe a mistake..I have not returned the Samsung 4k ..I am planning to keep until I get more information here.....some folks say 780 or 970 is almost same thing...looking at the specification they all are 4Gb memory the only thing I see different is the CUDA CORES . Can some one please let me know what that is?.....GTX 980 has 2848 cuda cores  ...the 970 has 1664 cuda cores and the 780 2304....but they all are 4GB standard memory config....I am very confuse here....oh I forgot ot the base clock seems to be Little more higher on the 980 with 1126...but I have no idea if I should go by those numbers

Thanks

the Samsung 4K was 499$ 

Just noticed you're running a HDMI to DVI cable.  Doesn't your monitor have an HDMI input?  If it does that's what you should be using. I'm running a 4k monitor on a GTX980 but, I was running it on two GTX770s in sli before.  It ran fine on the 770s but there's a difference that I can't quantify - it's just more beautiful and smoother.  Also, my computer runs cooler and is less noisy. 

DVI-D (and DVI-I) do not support full 4K resolutions (3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160).

HDMI 1.4b will support upto 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz

HDMI 2.0a will support upto 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

DisplayPort 1.2 and 1.3 are actually better specifications in terms of how much data they can transmit 21.6 Gbit/s and 32.4 Gbits/sec  vs. HDMI 2.0 which is only 18 Gbit/s.  HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however ... DisplayPort maximum cable length is 3 meters, HDMI 2.0 cable length max is 10 meters.  HDMI also supports more color space formats than DisplayPort and a few other details.

When 8K monitors hit the mass market later this year, neither HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.3 will be sufficient to do full color (444 subsampling) @ 60 Hz.  However superMHL ports (essentially same group behind HDMI) will be the most likely choice as it provides 8K 120 Hz with 48bit color and HDR content. 

Times are changing quickly ... who's gonna be the first to run P3D at 8K?  :)

Cheers, Rob.

DisplayPort 1.2 and 1.3 are actually better specifications in terms of how much data they can transmit 21.6 Gbit/s and 32.4 Gbits/sec vs. HDMI 2.0 which is only 18 Gbit/s. HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however ... DisplayPort maximum cable length is 3 meters, HDMI 2.0 cable length max is 10 meters. HDMI also supports more color space formats than DisplayPort and a few other details.

Rob there must be room for improvement in the base 18 Gbits/s HDMI standard.

Monster Cable state that their UltraHD Platinum and Black Platinum  HDMI cables have a through-put of 22.5 and 27 Gbits/s respectively.

Not sure to what lengths these speeds hold up.

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

ups I was using dvi from the gtx 780 to hdmi  monitor to be honest I think I used the first port back in the monitor ....maybe that was the problem? ..I still have the monitor in the box ready to return but waiting for some more advise ....I can afford titan x at the moment and I think that 970 would not make significantly differences...but i am listening to you guys ...still have few more days until amazon accept the return...i definitely want to keep th 4k but only if really going to be able to move the P3D.

thanks

Just noticed you're running a HDMI to DVI cable.  Doesn't your monitor have an HDMI input?  If it does that's what you should be using. I'm running a 4k monitor on a GTX980 but, I was running it on two GTX770s in sli before.  It ran fine on the 770s but there's a difference that I can't quantify - it's just more beautiful and smoother.  Also, my computer runs cooler and is less noisy. 

yes it does...both the GTX 780 and the monitor have HDMI...but i went the easy way connecting DVI to HDMI....wrong?

Rob there must be room for improvement in the base 18 Gbits/s HDMI standard.

HDMI 2.0 spec will not exceed 18 Gbits/s ... cable is simply a rating of what data thru-put it supports.  What Monster cable does is simple (and it's honest) advertising, they aren't likely to tell you that you don't need a 22 or 27 Gbits/s cable.  Now, with that said if you plan to go longer than 10 meters then you might be able to do that with one of those 22 to 27 Gbit/s cables, but my rule of thumb it always (regardless of spec) get the shortest cable you can that will meet your distance needs.

The next standard will be superMHL (at least from the companies supporting existing HDMI) ... which should hold us over for several years as that standard can move considerable data.

HDMI...but i went the easy way connecting DVI to HDMI....wrong?

Yes, very wrong for 4K.  HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 or 1.3 -- definitely NOT DVI-D or DVI-I.  Also be aware that the DVI ports are different on the video card (and labeled as such) ... DVI-D is better than DVI-I ... but neither DVI supports 4K resolutions.   DVI-D caps out at 2560 x 1600 and DVI-I caps out at even less.

Cheers, Rob.

HDMI 2.0 spec will not exceed 18 Gbits/s ... cable is simply a rating of what data thru-put it supports.  What Monster cable does is simple (and it's honest) advertising, they aren't likely to tell you that you don't need a 22 or 27 Gbits/s cable.  Now, with that said if you plan to go longer than 10 meters then you might be able to do that with one of those 22 to 27 Gbit/s cables, but my rule of thumb it always (regardless of spec) get the shortest cable you can that will meet your distance needs.

The next standard will be superMHL (at least from the companies supporting existing HDMI) ... which should hold us over for several years as that standard can move considerable data.

Yes, very wrong for 4K.  HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 or 1.3 -- definitely NOT DVI-D or DVI-I.  Also be aware that the DVI ports are different on the video card (and labeled as such) ... DVI-D is better than DVI-I ... but neither DVI supports 4K resolutions.   DVI-D caps out at 2560 x 1600 and DVI-I caps out at even less.

Cheers, Rob.

Hummm I think I will take the 4k out of the box and give another shot...HDMI to HDMI and use the cables that came with the monitor...by the way one of them has red plastic cover at the connector header and the other one black...???not sure if there is any differences ..I am going to move sliders left down until I can achieve 25 FPS stable...with my 780....I will report

Thanks guys 

I am going to move sliders left down until I can achieve 25 FPS stable...with my 780....I will report

The cable used will not affect your FPS.

Cheers, Rob. 

The cable used will not affect your FPS.

Cheers, Rob. 

ok good to know ..thanks

!'ve been pretty busy so I missed your post. Glad to see Rob jumped and answered and with more info than I could have.  Let us know how it works for you.  Also, they probably just have a bin full of caps and its just the luck of the draw.  Mine came with two black caps. :rolleyes:

i just finished putting my new rig together, i am using a 5820k clocked at 4.5 ghz with a corsair h100i gtx, corsair ddr4 2666 at 2800 mhz, a 128 gb 840 pro as my boot drive, a seagate 480 gb ssd dedicated to fsx and p3d,in fsx i can max everything out minus the traffic with the asus gtx 970 at 3840x2160 and able to keep my 30-40 fps on the ground with the dx10 fixer at 4x aa and can go up to 70fps in the air.addons used are orbx ftx global 1.30, ftx vector 1.20,pilots mesh,between 30-40 addon airports,even at klax with no traffic i still get 30 fps, also using rex 4 texture direct and left everything at 4096 textures in the airbus and i change it to 1024 for really long flights,by what i understand the gtx 980ti will be out in september, but if you are wanting to buy now i think the asus gtx 970 strix will do the job,i just wish p3d and fsx se would support multiple cores and sli/crossfire.