Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Windows 10 Will Be The LAST OS

They started doing this to windows 7 and windows 8 since April of this year here are the links:

Fortunately I religiously scan all microsoft "updates" before installing them. I spotted these when they popped up, and avoided them. Other MS phone home type thingys I more often than not have my firewall block with extreme prejudice.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The below quote is a comment someone wrote on this article and is probably the most true/accurate statement you can find regarding this "privacy issue" (that really isn't a big deal). Er, well, I guess it's only a big deal because it's Microsoft, right? They're mean and scary people that can only ever want to harm us and take advantage of us. Apple and Google can have all of our information because they're nice people!

Let's start by scaring everybody, then in the third paragraph, where few people will read to, say it's not really that bad. Excellent shock journalism.

1) Android and iPhone do this too. It's how cloud computing works. (You may have heard of that?)

2) This is a more efficient use of the internet, sharing bandwidth, but it's understandable if you don't want to share. We live in a selfish world.

3) Okay, this is a little weird, but you don't have to share with facebook and outlook friends. You could just pick outlook friends. It would be better if you could limit it to specific people per network tho.

4) Again, cloud computing. Some of the processing to enhance YOUR user experience is done on THEIR servers. By the way, the gas station also knows when you get gas from them... so you may want to worry about that too.

5) So, you're concerned that Microsoft is making sure their games are not pirated. Sounds like you've got a guilty conscience there.

I think it's gotten to the point in the software world that, if something isn't actually wrong, people look for something that they think is wrong. If there's no drama after the release of a product, what's to enjoy about it?

We live in a digital age where products and services need to know your usage habits to improve the user experience and provide you with relevant information. The same is true with not just Windows, but iOS and Android (which have been doing the same for years).

Finally, this post is not directed at any one person, but rather anyone who is worried that their security is compromised.

Brandon Filer

I think a lot of people would feel better if the options to do so were not buried in a way that seems quite deliberate, and brings to mind other types of malware that also installs potentially unwanted "features" without the average users knowledge.

The fact that even when you do express your concern to the point that you look up and implement the means to turn off these options, the remedy may still be ineffective (in certain respects) which taints the entire enterprise with suspicion.

Microsoft has done itself few favors in the past in this regard.

I doubt that the EU will be amused either, and wouldn't be surprised if they demand greater transparency; through legislation if necessary.

Devons rig

Yep, they are buried with every single other option in Win 10.

Yep, they are buried with every single other option in Win 10.

So the Settings app with hundreds of categorized settings is hidden, too?

Brandon Filer

Only if you are blinded by some of the media.

So the Settings app with hundreds of categorized settings is hidden, too?

Its fairly simple. When a malware app obscures the installation of (possibly) unwanted features behind an innocuous sounding loading screen, it's roundly criticized, and usually blocked by antivirus.

Apparently, when the company is large enough, the same behavior is just another day at the office.

The fact is, that a large number of people, alerted about these features will opt out with extreme prejudice, with just the same right to make that choice as those who use antivirus and antispam to block other programs (and cookies and ads) that they find unnecessary or obnoxious to their own needs.

These things follow a familiar path. Company A slips something like this into their software and then acts surprised at the uproar. They then wait for a bit to see if they can still get away with it, or what the damage to their bottom line might be in sticking to their guns. After a while, a "clarification" is issued, and the feature is watered down and/or made glaringly apparent (like it should have been from the start) so people can make a more informed choice.

Sometimes software engineers make very very poor human engineers, getting lost in the cool new idea and forgetting, dismissing or even ridiculing what regular people think. This can lead to problems with both public relations and common sense.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/17/windows-10-new-crash-loops/

Devons rig

Yep, that BIG SETTINGS GEAR on the START menu is really an innocuous sounding loading screen. I wonder what it does or what it contains?

Maybe we should petition to take calculator and Notepad out too. I just have no idea what those 2 things do either. Maybe if I am taking notes with Notepad those notes are being beamed into outer space where some little green men are reading them.

Yep, that BIG SETTINGS GEAR on the START menu is really an innocuous sounding loading screen. I wonder what it does or what it contains?

You are forgetting (or simply ignoring) that the vast majority of people are completely clueless about computers, and have little to no idea whats going on in there. Adware, malware, spyware and other social engineering nasties actually rely on this fact to ensnare victims.

Placing obnoxious terms, conditions or "features" in complex Eulas or under layers of "advanced" options screens is a time tested means of using most people's ignorance of their computers against them. Seeing large companies taking advantage of that same ignorance invites responsible authorities to take action.

This is a type of "dark pattern" and people are rightfully (I think) upset when finding out about them. http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/29/4640308/dark-patterns-inside-the-interfaces-designed-to-trick-you

One could ask why something so important to so many people was intentionally buried under 13 screens of stuff. And if you think it was UNintentional, then heres a happy fix that should satisfy everyone (right?) put this privacy info on a prominent screen with a complete and clear explanation of the choices.

I bet the EU will force MS to do something exactly like that sooner rather than later, so save the legal heartache, and do it voluntarily now.

After all...... how hard could that be?

Devons rig

After all...... how hard could that be?

Those same clueless people would be just as if not even more clueless on Windows 7 as Windows 7's settings are buried in the control panel as oppose th Windows 10's simple settings.

Edited by n4gix
Deleted unnecessary quote.

Those same clueless people would be just as if not even more clueless on Windows 7 as Windows 7's settings are buried in the control panel as oppose th Windows 10's simple settings.

And eventually, seeing the need, applications, articles, guides and how-to's of all sorts arrived to control the most obnoxious of those settings once they were identified. In fact, whole websites arose, dedicated solely to which settings/services could be safely disabled.

Windows 10 is just at the start of that process, and has not yet been comprehensively de-fanged. In fact, the conversation at this point is still about what needs to go, and why. If MS doesnt react to people's concerns, then others will, and MS may lose any semblance of control as hacks and cure-alls (possibly dangerous in themselves) proliferate to correct the perceived lack of transparency from Microsoft.

http://betanews.com/2015/08/18/lock-down-windows-10s-privacy-settings-with-oo-shutup10/

Again. lots of cool software....... and a complete lack of understanding/dismissal/impatience-with real people and their possible concerns. The same lack of understanding that made tech-types completely and utterly miss why so many gave windows 8 a pass, even though to just about everyone else the writing was on the wall. 

OO-ShutUp10.jpg

Devons rig

Windows 10 Home is a consumer product and the vast majority of users simply don't care about such matters - any more than car buyers need to know any more than simply checking oil and water.

Windows 10 Home is a consumer product and the vast majority of users simply don't care about such matters - any more than car buyers need to know any more than simply checking oil and water.

Correct, but only to a degree. Those same users rely on responsible sources to alert them of possible issues, like recalls or faulty parts and even on safety tips. In this case, media is alerting casual users of possible privacy concerns. While the inner workings of windows may be greek to many, privacy is a perfectly understandable and common concern. Users will take note, if alerted.

Devons rig