Sign in to follow this  
mjrhealth

A little one

Any chance of getting the indicator light on teh com1 com2 nav1 nav2 audio to light when selected. At the moment you dont know unless you use tooltips or hear audio.

Thanks

We will look into this and get back to you.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/468220-revision-15-is-out-now/#entry3239427

Already mentioned this before, along with other items. Only Item #5 seems addressed by 1.6.

and #4 has been addressed from the very beginning as well...there have always been separate panel/instrument lights. They're not adjustable/dimming...but they can be enabled separately.

Sorry Dave but panel and instrument lights are NOT and never have been separate.  Click on the overhead rotary switches and they only operate in unison, unless I've missed something?.

The instrument lights provide the soft or back light on the instruments themselves, the panel light should light the face of the panel making it easier to see position of switches and unlit gauges. The cockpit light is a floodlight - the kind of thing you switch on to see where instrument and panel lights are located. 

I hear what you're saying...that the panel light in this plane is truly just an overhead type floodlight...and I suppose it also depends upon your monitor and brightness levels...but for me the cockpit overhead is so dull that it really only lights up the panel and thats about it...so for me it's been used as a panel splash light, although it does not light up the overhead portion. It is actually less bright than the instrument back lights, which are operated separately...now THOSE are bright!

While flying I typically leave off the cockpit light and only have the instrument lights on.

Dave, you might try taking advantage of the `bug` I reported - shut the cabin door and turn on the cabin light. It's a far lower intensity than the cockpit light and just about throws enough light on the panel.

Of course, when they fix it you can curse me...  :P

There is a bug with the cabin lights that we are aware of. If you click the cabin light switch multiple times, the amount of light changed. My preference is 3 clicks for what appears to be the brightest light. :)

Here on the west coast of FL we had some thunderstorms of amazing duration yesterday afternoon, lasting well into the night. So of course I had to get in my MU after work and fly around in it. :) I will admit that I don't usually fly at night as I enjoy seeing the scenery, but upon firing up the sim I found the cockpit to be very dark. It was very hard to see the switches as mentioned above. I will get with Mark tonight after work and see what we can do to make the pit a bit more visable at night.

On a side note, which sim are you guys using? I have noticed that P3D handles interior lighting in a dramatically different way than FSX. In my experience FSX gives just the flood light effect, where as P3D does the same, but the light also seems to diffuse all over the cabin and gently illuminate everything. I can post some comparison shots I took while discussing this with Mark if you all are interested when I get on my PC next.

Matt Bernard

I'm on P3D2.5, and the light effects vary wildly with HDR on/off. For reasons unrelated to the Moo, I've experimented with modified shader entries but have come back to using default shader files with HDR off at night, and on in the day.

The HDR on at night with the Moo causes the green tinted windows to appear to be lighting up the ground beyond, like a low-light TV screen. It also greatly exaggerates the external landing and taxi lights, washing-out the taxiway and runways. Conversely, 'on' in the daytime really brings out the specular on the Moo's paints!  B)

Not something I'd complain about nor expect you guys to fix, but perhaps it might be worth adding an entry to the manual that the recommended setting for HDR with this aircraft in P3D is `off` for nighttime! Of course, this will probably all change with 2.6 anyways  :Doh:

I use FSX, not P3D here, Matt. I already think that in FSX at night the cabin lighting is bright enough and wouldnt want to see any of the lights any brighter unless they were multi level and you could adjust them to be lower to prevent night blindness.

2 ideas if mark wants to improve upon the lighting:

1 - introduce a sort of rheostat or dimmer for both the cockpit and instrument lights so they could be adjusted as needed, dimming from very bright (for day as an example) all the way back to off. (if he can't manage a dimmer than perhaps something like a 4 position knob would be ok).

2 - the plane really could use the newer fsx "lotus" style taxi and landing lights, instead of the current fs2004 style. They illuminate the ground surface and taxi marking MUCH better instead of just washing it out as it does now. These newer style lights must be in the model and therefore would require a model re-build from what I understand about it.

One last note for visual improvement (although not having to do with lighting) would be to add some reflective textures to the windscreen and side windows to get that "real glass" effect happening :-)

Hangar, I have mentioned the rheostat idea to Mark, but I can't recall the outcome of the conversation. I too would like to see that option.

I also have noticed what you describe with the landing/taxi lights and agree. Will add this to the punch list as it would be a great improvement.

Matt Bernard