Sign in to follow this  
ted757

MU-2 1.6 Nosewheel Steering

This is a great plane and am getting to know it better and better! 

There is one strange thing that makes it a handfull in tignt ramp situations.  On mine the nosegear steering is not effective until 6 kts on the GPS GS.

I have all the control axis callibrated through FSUPIC.  The "Auto Rudder" in FSX is ticked and I do not use rudder pedals.

My flight yoke is a Saitek and also suse their throttle quadrant.

Really love this plane, and really want to solve this "issue".

Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Ted

Not sure why you might be having that issue. I don't...my NWS works even with ground speed on GTN750 reading zero (plane is moving slowly though and turns fine).

It's possible that you maybe need to lighten up the plane a bit...I now use my own custom cfg since I noticed the plane will load in the sim about 400lbs beyond its max allowable weight (if you use a default flight file which uses full fuel loads). Take a thousand pounds or more of fuel out and see if it makes a difference.

I always edit my cfg file to remove excess passengers, then adjust the fuel. In my 20 years of fueling MU-2's, the typical fuel order is to top off the center tank, and a varied load in the tips. The wing tanks are typically left "empty", sine they really don't hold much to begin with. Just a small amount is left in them to keep the bladders and seals wet.

Full tips and center is more than enough for a 2 hour, 600nm flight. This would probably get you at least 1000nm. IIRC, fuel burn at cruise is around 550lb/hr. And you get 1200 lbs in the tips, with another 1000 in the center. This little rocket has some pretty decent legs on it.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

...it would be nice if you could simply adjust each plane's fuel level in it's cfg instead of always having to empty tanks after starting fsx. I don't have the patience to do that when flying GA craft so I typically just leave the tanks as full since that's how fsx loads it...but then I make sure to get rid of most if not all the passengers from the cfg so I'm good to go without any fuss.

I didn't realize they changed the passenger loading in the cfg recently...I could have sworn v1.0 only had pilot/copilot and nothing else but I could be remembering it wrong. Knowing that fsx always loads full fuel (unless you save a custom flight with less) I wonder why they filled up the plane so heavy that it is over its allowable weight?

Thanks for all the fuel loading advice,  But the NGS is still inop below 6KTS.  I varied the fuel load in the tips and other configs.  No joy.

The yaw damper was OFF.  Even cycled it On/OFF but to no effect.

Somewhere a "glitch" has found a new home in my new MU-2.

Ted

Thanks Hangar, but unchecking the auto rudder removed all NWS even above 6 kts.

I think I am going to send this MU-2 to the breakers and try a fresh install.

Will advise if this fixes the "Glitch".

T

something sounds fishy...maybe an addon conflict of some kind with something you have installed and forgotten about? Im only saying because I never fly with auto rudder enabled...from what I thought, it can disable ground steering on certain planes when enabled. Anyway ive never used it since I have rudder pedals it is not needed. Maybe its the way you have things set in fsuipc, not sure really.

I don't have rudder pedals, thus the auto rudder requirement.

The re-install did not work.  think I'm going to start over with the axis calibration and all that.

Thanks for the advice.

T

PROBLEM SOLVED.  I went back into FSUPIC and deleted all the axis assignments.  Then re-did them fresh and saved the flight.

My MU now can steer just fine and we are off to see the country. 

Thanks for helping out!

Ted