Sign in to follow this  
Old_As_Dirt

Stupid question about Euro prices on software sites

Lately, I have been looking at Navigraph, for one, and their prices are listed in Euros.  Being from the USA, I have a problem with understanding whether I can complete a transaction and have it show up in USD.  When I go to this site (or their competitor's site), the eu price shows up and no mention of USD is made.  

My question is - do credit card companies figure this out and, if so, how do I know how much it is going to cost before pushing the button?

Thanks for (hopefully) coming to my assistance in this matter.

John

John Wingold

You can use Google to convert Euro to USD, and that will be the cost, plus an additional fee from your credit card company and/or bank for the conversion. Your credit card company and/or bank will list the conversion fee cost on their website. Sometimes it's a percentage, but it can be a flat fee as well.

To convert currencies with Google, just search for "xx.xx euro to usd" and it will provide the conversion, like the below link:

https://www.google.com/#q=20+euro+to+usd

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Thanks pmanhart.  I figured it was more than just a straight transaction.  I knew how to convert, but the other stuff is what gets in my way.  Thanks again.

John

John Wingold

Hi John,

I never thought of Navigraph giving US residents much cheaper pricing than EU residents:

Navigraph Ultimate (1 year)

USA Price EUR 64.90 

Germany Price EUR 77.23

UK Price EUR 77.88

Navigraph Ultimate Monthly

USA Price EUR 7.50 / mo

Germany Price EUR 8.92 / mo 

UK Price EUR 9.00 / mo 

FMS Data All Cycles (1 year)

USA Price EUR 22.90

Germany Price EUR 27.25

UK Price EUR 27.48

FMS Data 4 Cycles (1 year)

USA Price EUR 13.90

Germany Price EUR 16.54

UK Price EUR 16.68

FMS Data (30 days)

USA Price EUR 5.90

Germany Price EUR 7.02

UK Price EUR 7.08

As usual, Europeans are being taken to the cleaners tax-wise, disgusting!

Cheers,

Jerome

Yes Jerome, and that might be an understanding of any charges made by the credit card handlers.  I didn't notice any VAT fees, so I guess that's some help - although I don't understand all I know about that either.

John

John Wingold

Yes Jerome, and that might be an understanding of any charges made by the credit card handlers.  I didn't notice any VAT fees,

That's no surprise: The price for the customer now has to include the VAT. If you go in a normal shop thwe price ALWAYS includes VAT, and now they more or less demand the same from an online shop.

Many credit cards offer no-fee foreign transaction - those can usually give better deals than PayPal conversion.  Also, as a Canadian, the EUR-CAD conversion has been more to my advantage lately than the USD-CAD.  I try to buy from European stores, or to select to be charged in Euro (don't try this if you pay a conversion fee, you'll lose in the end).

sig01.png

I almost never - never in recent years - use PayPal.  Every time I used it, I received emails for months about updating their information.  I neglected these requests, but it leads me to believe that they are not as secure as people seem to think.

John

John Wingold

I never thought of Navigraph giving US residents much cheaper pricing than EU residents:

As usual, Europeans are being taken to the cleaners tax-wise, disgusting!

That's not Navigraph's fault.  That's your governments' hand in the pot requiring Navigraph to collect their share for them...Navigraph doesn't keep it.  Navigraph or any other vendor is not obligated to give a discount because you're taxed too much by your government!!  It's just like if you purchase from a Canadian site, you won't pay GST, but I will.

It's up to you as a European to voice your displeasure to your government representative if you feel like you're taxed too much!!  B)

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png