Sign in to follow this  
glsimpilot

My last real flight sim PC build was in 2010, so....

As you try to OC to 4.4 4.5 4.6 Ghz that 1600 memory gona be blue screening

For OC you need  fast ram and FSX needs fast disk access SSD.

These are the 2 things that always caused my OC to crash

Also I am using 0ne 40inch main display and 28inch lcd for instruments.

There have been many reports of folks we switched from multiple small monitors to 1 large monitor

Personally I prefer the one large main screen with second smaller for instruments

some guy uses 60inch screen rather than 3 smaller

Your build, with the exception of the GPU is similar to what I'm planning.

1) I'm not convinced that for the price the GTX980Ti is worth getting above the GTX970 for flightsim applications.

2) I'm leaning towards the 8-phase Asus Z97-A too although the Z-97-Pro is a 12 phase power design.

I am overclocked to 4.7 Ghz running off a Hyper 212 EVO and temps are in the mid 60's

That's surprising to me, I assumed for such an overclock you'd need a bigger cooler like a Noctua NH-D15.

Q) What temps were you getting under stress testing?

The RAM is too slow for a 4690/4790K build

Look for some 2133 MHz with lowest timings you can find

I'd agree, and bear in mind that some performance memory runs at a higher voltage and since the memory voltage regulator is onboard the CPU.

Q) I wonder if this might contribute to temps when overclocking?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Looking at my tweaked list at the moment I'm seeing the "G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory" of which the memory may be overkill?

I'm thinking the GTX980Ti  might be worth getting because of 6GB of memory and the need my desire run 3 screens. 

8-phase vs 12 phase power design? Higher is better but what am I looking at here with that spec?

16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory" of which the memory may be overkill?

As far as I can tell 8GB is adequate for most users at the moment, certainly in FSX. Apparently X-plane can need more than 8GB (I've never used Prepar3D so can't comment). Anyway if you're building a system with a GTX980Ti then I'd go with the 16GB.

8-phase vs 12 phase power design? Higher is better but what am I looking at here with that spec?

I assume it refers to the regulated voltages from the motherboard to components (others may know more about this???), so essentially better voltage regulation which helps with overclocking stability.

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Your build, with the exception of the GPU is similar to what I'm planning.

1) I'm not convinced that for the price the GTX980Ti is worth getting above the GTX970 for flightsim applications.

2) I'm leaning towards the 8-phase Asus Z97-A too although the Z-97-Pro is a 12 phase power design.

That's surprising to me, I assumed for such an overclock you'd need a bigger cooler like a Noctua NH-D15.

Q) What temps were you getting under stress testing?

I'd agree, and bear in mind that some performance memory runs at a higher voltage and since the memory voltage regulator is onboard the CPU.

Q) I wonder if this might contribute to temps when overclocking?

I used the Easytune software from Gigabyte and those are the numbers they give me. I have not stressed test the system, however, I monitor temps based on the games that I play on it. Looking at max temps from a recent session of both Witcher III as well as a 5+30 hour flight on P3d 2.5, my max temp was 66C with a max clock of 4741 Mhz.  I am sure I can scorch the system under a stress test, but as long as it is running well under load from the games that I am using, I am fine. My 212 EVO so far has been a fantastic cooler. I also have 5 120mm fans in the case and it moves some air.  

As for the OCz SSD, I use one and love it. 

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Greetings all, here is where my current build stands so far. its a holiday weekend here in the states so I held off on all purchases till i get back home from holiday. I did have a few items below already purchased from sales, researching, and plenty of recommendations to filter through.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $298.00)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $144.99)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $89.99)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $110.00)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $341.00)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($669.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Directron)

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1870.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-03 11:05 EDT-0400

I'm now toying around with the idea of a CPU water cooler. I've been leaning towards the H100ic but not settled yet, still reading up on that. I've never run a CPU water cooler and it looks like it can be a fun part of my build. I'm satisfied with the memory and speeds for that price too. Hope to get this finalized in the next few days.

What do you think of the 1tb ssd for main drive and 250gb ssd for swap file? Not what I was intending but read on another forum that this was a thing. It's not what I intend to do but I am always interested in different configurations.

How much I/O do you expect with the swap file? How much are you getting now?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I think that build is excellent. Afew things I would personally change but at this stage you've done your research. The ssd configuration sounds good, and if you are going for water cooling the corsair h100 is a good choice. For me the cm Nepton 240 with 4 fans is better, but the corsair is a proven product. I see you stuck with 1600 RAM, remember that your overclocking will be affected by RAM frequency and timings. The devils canyon is capable of so much more than 1600, so keep that in mind for a future upgrade.

And the 980ti, best choice ever!

remember that your overclocking will be affected by RAM frequency and timings

You can overclock the RAM and CPU separately.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

You can overclock the RAM and CPU separately.

Agreed, xmp profiles make things easy with the ram OC. The 4790k memory controller can OC RAM to beyond 3000 in some cases, just sayin'.

I read a lot about memory, there is a lot of, you'll see these results, those results, you'll barely feel this or possibly feel that. At the end of the day, I played it safe for now and went for some good ram that was on a flash sale. Nothing is set in glue we can always swap out as I feel the need, Not like I haven't done that before. Its time to build. Example, there was a note on the pcpart picker site that stated there could be an incompatibility between the 2400 memory because it went above it recommendations but then there are the XMP profiles with the cpu.

Had a beer at 10AM... needed it, just ordered the most expensive video card in my life, the EVGA 06G-P4-4995-KR GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC+ w/ACX BP Video Card. Happy 4th of July, feel the fireworks!

Luke, no idea on the IOPS.

Luke, no idea on the IOPS.

Unless you're running short on free RAM, you don't have any appreciable I/O going to the swap file. Unless you have a very specific use case, there's no need for swap on its own SSD.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

Unless you're running short on free RAM, you don't have any appreciable I/O going to the swap file. Unless you have a very specific use case, there's no need for swap on its own SSD.

Cheers!

Luke

Totally agree.