Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

P3D 2.5 cloud issue (not shadows)

Hi, I decided to give P3D a try, and found for the most part it's working great, but something in particular is not quite right...

I have this weird effect with the clouds, where they disappear and re-appear as I move the viewpoint... This is particularly noticeable in outside/spot view, but it's

also seen in VC.

I made a very crude video to illustrate, where you can see that as you rotate the view, some high clouds disappear and reappear as you return:

This is very strange and I could not find any posts with the same issue. The closest I found were some FSX ones about flashing clouds, and to modify a file inside the shader folder in FSX, but in P3D the recommended settings are already in place :(

Does anyone have any idea?

Oh, while in the vid you might recognize add-ons (It has FTX Global and REX4 TD), this was happening with just the "plain" install as well, and I added those to see if it was some texture thing or other, but none of the two add-ons helped with the problem.

Also as a side note, while the sim works fine and I have high frame rates for now, is it normal that as soon as the flight loads you don't see like in fsx the picture "built"

but rather it starts adding thing and the full pic/textures appear after 2-3 secs?

Have you re-built your shaders - deleted them - you should and it takes a bit of time for them to rebuild also not sure what you are saying on 2-3 seconds - if shaders are rebuilding it will do that if I understand your question - need time to settle in 

Rich Sennett

As Richard said, "piecing together" at startup is normal WHEN the shaders are rebuilding. However, if you get this all the time - you are overloading your system. Remember, in P3D, the NORMAL setting is like extremely dense in FSX.

Try reducing your settings, delete the shaders folder located at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

After the first run you should not see the slow building.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hmmmare you refering to the second issue/comment?

I haven't deleted abything so far, so nithing needs to be rebuilt. This is just a vehavior I se when the flight loads where I'll get like the skeletin first, then the redt of the plane then the textures on the side, etc, like it takes 2-3 secs to do the initial render. After that works all great (well except for this annoying cloud issue)

Texture resolution may be to high for your machine - turn things down

Rich Sennett

As Richard said, "piecing together" at startup is normal WHEN the shaders are rebuilding. However, if you get this all the time - you are overloading your system. Remember, in P3D, the NORMAL setting is like extremely dense in FSX.

Try reducing your settings, delete the shaders folder located at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

After the first run you should not see the slow building.

Vic

Texture resolution may be to high for your machine - turn things down

Hm ok, I will try these suggestions, but if the load is too high, why after it does load (and render first time) when flying I get around 50-60 fps? :unsure:

Edit: also thinking about it, if the load was too hight, why would affect just these clouds? I could imagine it affecting stuff/objects in general...

Hm ok, I will try these suggestions, but if the load is too high, why after it does load (and render first time) when flying I get around 50-60 fps? :unsure:

Edit: also thinking about it, if the load was too hight, why would affect just these clouds? I could imagine it affecting stuff/objects in general...

True does not make sense now - are you using p3d clouds or rex clouds if not you should get rex4 and soft clouds combo - everyone has it  - that may help your problem - what is your pc specs ?

Rich Sennett

True does not make sense now - are you using p3d clouds or rex clouds if not you should get rex4 and soft clouds combo - everyone has it  - that may help your problem - what is your pc specs ?

I am using REX4 w/soft clouds. Besides installing because they're great, I als did right away to see if it would help, since the issue was from fresh install...

Sequence was:

- Installed P3D: saw the cloud problem

- Installed REX: saw the problem

- Installed FTX Global (with libs, etc of course): saw the problem

I just tried the settings etc lowering everything and even turning off stuff like tessellation, or shadow, or you name it. Nothing... All I get is an uglier sim with still the clouds issue :)

Doing the tests I *think* I am not seeing it inside the VC, only in the spot/outside view. Do none of you have it?

My Specs are:

i7 4790K @4.4Ghz

16GB 2400 Mhz DDR3 RAM

2x R9 290 4GB video cards

P3D running of a 250GB SSD (OS is on a separate SSD)

Still even after changing setting takes a few seccons to "rebuild" the screen/make everything nice, but after that all smooth... The only setting that seemed to have an impact on performance so fat is changing the AA from 4 to 8 plummets my fps from 50-60 to 30-40...

Sounds like an sli problem to me try one video card - I have no experience with sli so someone else would have to help you with that

Rich Sennett

My Specs are:

i7 4790K @4.4Ghz
16GB 2400 Mhz DDR3 RAM
2x R9 290 4GB video cards
P3D running of a 250GB SSD (OS is on a separate SSD)

Still even after changing setting takes a few seccons to "rebuild" the screen/make everything nice, but after that all smooth... The only setting that seemed to have an impact on performance so fat is changing the AA from 4 to 8 plummets my fps from 50-60 to 30-40...

Are you trying to use Crossfire?

Crossfire does not work with windowed games like P3D.

You are sure to get some form of graphical corruption and/or performance drop.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I think this may be related to your cloud settings - if you have the cloud coverage density slider NOT set to maximum the clouds themselves are not displayed to their full volume, but the software believes the clouds behind should be obscured and hides them.

Try moving the slider and see the result.

If it isn't that then I'd also suspect a graphic card or driver issue - R9's are simply not the best choice for P3D and as gboz notes Crossfire simply doesn't work. 

Sounds like an sli problem to me try one video card - I have no experience with sli so someone else would have to help you with that

Doubt it, since sli/crossfire is not used unless the app supports it (which out flightsims don't) :(

Are you trying to use Crossfire?

Crossfire does not work with windowed games like P3D.

You are sure to get some form of graphical corruption and/or performance drop.

gb.

No, not trying to use (or rathe force) crossfire, and like you say, the sims don't support it)

I think this may be related to your cloud settings - if you have the cloud coverage density slider NOT set to maximum the clouds themselves are not displayed to their full volume, but the software believes the clouds behind should be obscured and hides them.

Try moving the slider and see the result.

If it isn't that then I'd also suspect a graphic card or driver issue - R9's are simply not the best choice for P3D and as gboz notes Crossfire simply doesn't work.

I'll double check the cloud setting, although I think I had checked it all the eway right.

I know AMD is not the best for fsx, p3d, etc, but for the most part they work fine. Imam discarding a driver issue because this is a very specific issue... It's not all graphics affected, not eve all clouds. just these few clouds... Also they don't get corrupted, they just disappear and reapear fast as you move the viewpoint. CRossfire, Yes, i know it's not supported but it does not get called/activated, and I am not forcing it either.

I've always had those appearing and disappearing clouds when changing viewpoint. Theres usually from 5 to 7 of them in a 360 degree scan.

Always have the slow rebuild of a newly chosen plane, interior and exterior view.

No SL.I

To me, its just P3D. no bother, all in a days work. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I've always had those appearing and disappearing clouds when changing viewpoint. Theres usually from 5 to 7 of them in a 360 degree scan.

Always have the slow rebuild of a newly chosen plane, interior and exterior view.

No SL.I

To me, its just P3D. no bother, all in a days work.

Well it's good(?) to hear I'm not the only ine. The pbeginning thing I don't mind I can live with that, but the cloud thing really annoys me...