Sign in to follow this  
PATCO LCH

Single engine taxi. Why?

I know FSX may not have a realistic taxi code but seems when I try this with LS MD80 and especially NGX it is problematic. The working engine has to be spooled up to 70% N1 just to get moving with flap and trim warnings going off. So much for fuel saving as well as safety of anyone behind you. Then you struggle to keep the aircraft in a straight line putting wear and tear on tires and breaks. So where is the economy? Comments from RW pilots or anyone else would be appreciated. This new feature in the FS2Crew Reboot got me interested.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Do a search on FSUIPC Friction fix. FSX doesn't handle friction properly and if you have FSUIPC there is a fix for it to make it more realistic.

Since I taxied in single engine yesterday, I went and fired up my LS MD80 and -yes it takes too much power.  It should taxi at a decent speed without triggering the aural warning.  Occasionally the warning might sound if your at a dead stop and start moving.  What most guys do is shut down the engine after crossing all active runways.  Another method is to leave the ramp on 2 engines and then shut one down if the departure line is too long. 

I didn't know about that friction fix, I'll have to check it out. The Aerosoft Airbus actually taxis single engine quite easily; I wonder what they did?