Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

The funniest thing i have seen in a good while.

Do I have sympathy for people I don't know, will never meet nor care about falling over in a boat? No not really.

Ok. So does that mean that when you've watched clips of children and adults in Auschwitz that you also didn't feel any sympathy for them and didn't care?

If it was my family then maybe I'd care. Does that mean that every video I must act like it was my family member? Or that event happened to me? Not going to happen. Not sure what the point would be

The 'point' is in determining how much compassion and empathy we have for our fellow human beings here on planet earth as we orbit around the sun.  Thats the litmus test.   If we have little or no compassion for others then we will tend to laugh at others' misfortunes and not see ourselves in their shoes if they are hurt or suffering, and vice versa. Its a natural thing.

It can also be an age thing. I'd say compassion grows with age and life experience from say 25 years onwards.

Your analogy about the vegetarian liking dark comedy is a different issue since comedy is  a fiction. What we're talking about is watching real people in real trouble and why some people should find that funny.

For example, the enclosed video features a scooter rider who escapes with his life.  To some this video might be hilarious, to others, including myself, it might be interesting from the point of view of survival and having escaped the wheels of death, and we are happy that the man survives. 

So in the overall scheme of things I guess it doesn't really matter if we laugh at this type of video or feel sorry for the victim/s,.or if teenagers on your block laugh at your relative falling down and breaking their arm. But its certainly a measure of our humanity and maturity whether we laugh or mock at the plight of others, or sympathise and have the ability to see ourselves in their position.....

https://youtu.be/WliKUdROlUw

(warning: graphic)

Quote of the day ;-)...

“I do not ask the wounded person how he feels, I myself become the wounded person.”

― Walt Whitman,

Comedy is not always fiction. Not sure why you think that.

However, my point still stands; what does it matter if me, or anyone else finds something funny that you don't? As I've stated, if you think that person A finds X funny, and you don't, and from that you think that this means you have more humanity and maturity then that person, then frankly I think you're wrong.

And even then, also, what does that matter? If you believe that compassion grows after 25, and someone is under 25, then....then what? You've essentially, partially, answered you're own question. Teenagers may laugh at things I don't because they are younger. Ok great. Using you're statements we can deduce that you think that is ok and could be expected.

Someone is over 25, and they find it funny, well they must lack compassion, maturity and humanity. Even if you where correct, I don't think you are, but even if you where, what does it matter? Also, you're talking about all humans as if they are the same. In truth some people have less compassion for others, but that doesn't mean they are bad people. Far from it.

People on the autistic spectrum often have problems with empathy. That's a known attribute. Doesn't meant they are immature or lack humanity.

Ok. So does that mean that when you've watched clips of children and adults in Auschwitz that you also didn't feel any sympathy for them and didn't care?

Are you saying that falling over in a boat and breaking an arm is comparable to genocide?

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

This comment is totally out of line and this topic is going way off the OP. The link you provided to even more graphic video was out of line too. Topic locked.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10