Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

New Logo?

Hi Chase -

yeah - I like Pe11e's take better. 

That said, it still needs tweaking and to be approached first as a logo and then in applications such as banners.

I do like the general feel of the new Donate banner.

As a professional designer, I cringe when I hear thing like "I was just having a bit of fun last night in Photoshop".... I've heard that too many times from people who can, as you have, exercise their authority without due experience.

I know that sounds harsh; however, what's really redeeming here is that you're open (and professional) enough to be open to criticism.

I really value this site and believe that if the logo is going to change, due care should go into it.

cheers,

Andrew

I'd be remiss if I didn't accept constructive criticism :)

After looking at his then mine, I really like his font, and layer style better.

:Hug:

PSD's sent to your e-mail. :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I like Chase's design, the new Avsim logo!

I also like Pe11e's version but, too much similarity to the P3D typeface? imho

regards,

Hi Chase -

yeah - I like Pe11e's take better. 

That said, it still needs tweaking and to be approached first as a logo and then in applications such as banners.

I do like the general feel of the new Donate banner.

As a professional designer, I cringe when I hear thing like "I was just having a bit of fun last night in Photoshop".... I've heard that too many times from people who can, as you have, exercise their authority without due experience.

I know that sounds harsh; however, what's really redeeming here is that you're open (and professional) enough to be open to criticism.

I really value this site and believe that if the logo is going to change, due care should go into it.

cheers,

Andrew

Thank you for your candid feedback, Andrew.  I'd like to clarify the vernacular, and I'm guilty of calling the top banner the logo myself, however... The AVSIM logo hasn't changed.  The AVSIM logo is, and always has been the blue tail fin (see below).  The logo is prevalent on our Facebook page, as well as in the right hand column of the forum and front page.  

AVSIM-Logo1.png

The banner up top is not our logo.  When our new site was designed, this banner was seen as an opportunity to take the tail shape and expand on it to be more of an introduction to AVSIM than a logo.  Hence the color overlaid tail, and AVSIM text to the right of it with clouds.  Pretty much the same concept the old banner had.

Perhaps I should have prefaced why I was having a little fun in photoshop a few nights ago.  I found myself in a dilemma--the old banner was a quarter of a megabyte, which just didn't seem efficient; it also took up a little too much real-estate in its height (shouldn't exceed 64px to integrate properly with IPB header).  Unfortunately, the original banner PSD got lost in time somewhere so we needed to recreate the banner.  

The challenges I faced were being unable to locate what font we used in that original banner, as well as the desire to utilize the advantages of transparency in PNG files to mesh with the auto-generated gradients in IPB's CSS styling.  Notice there's no discontinuity in the background colors of the banner with the gradient of the forum header.

Low and behold, I found myself having a little fun in Photoshop, and being very open to whatever feedback I received--including yours!  :smile:

:Hug:

PSD's sent to your e-mail. :)

Thank you, good sir!  I was a terrible thief and took your layer style and applied it to the current.  Not bad!

Yep, not bad at all. :) Although I like more the font I've used, this is okay also. It is interesting that my font is very similar to the one in Airbus and Prepar3d logo, awesome.  :lol:

cheers

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.