Sign in to follow this  
CrackerJack

Understanding ATC Route

I'm new to this so I have what is likely a basic question.  I've planned a flight from Vacouver CYVR to Portland KPDX using PFPX the route given is:

ATC Route  N0357A170 DCT VR B22 XX V495 HUH05/N0357A170 V495 HUH DCT SEA HELNS5

I'm flying the 737 NGX.  I'd like to better understand what the above means.  I'm aware that HELNS5 is a STAR and the V495 and B22 are likely airways.  I've no idea what N0357A170 refers to, looks like heading and altitude??  How about HUH05/N0357A170?

I'm departing rwy 13 and I've looked at CYVR's SIDs and I can't find N0357A170 so this has me stumped?

Any suggestions on where I can read up on this stuff or quick explanations.

Thanks

A quick answer:

1) N0357 means speed 357 knots

2) A170 means altitude 17 000ft. It has the A in front, indicating that you are below transition level (18 000ft), so you will not be using standard pressure setting while flying at this altitude. 

I put it my version of PFPX and got a different suggested plan:

N0337A170 GRG4 DUNCN/N0433F350 V440 YYJ J502 SEA HELNS5

The plan shows the same initial restriction of 17,000, on the Georgia 4 SID, probably due to an airspace restriction. But after DUNCN shows a climb to FL350, more appropriate for a jet, yours leaves the aircraft at 17,000 the whole way, which isn't very likely.

That said, FL350 for a 43 minute flight is a bit high - Top of Descent comes 1 minute after Top of Climb on my log - crews would probably opt for a slightly lower level I reckon.

Eugene

N0357A170 DCT VR B22 XX V495 HUH05/N0357A170 V495 HUH DCT SEA HELNS5

N0357A170 - Your initial filed speed is 357 knots and your initial filed altitude is 17,000 feet MSL.

DCT VR B22 XX V495 - From CYVR, you'll go direct to the Vancouver (VR) NDB, then the B22 airway to the Abbotsford (XX) NDB, then via the V495 airway

HUH05/N0357A170 - 5 DME prior to the Whatcom (HUH) VOR, you're filing the same airspeed and altitude as before. Not sure why this is coming up twice (possibly because you're crossing into US airspace?)

V495 HUH DCT SEA HELNS5 - Continuing on the V495 airway to Whatcom (HUH), direct to the Seattle (SEA) VOR, then via the HELNS5 arrival/STAR into KPDX.

Given the route that PFPX gave you, you may want to make sure you have the appropriate equipment selected for your aircraft. NDBs are not too common these days.

Jon Skiffington

Both of those routes (route wise) are pretty bad imo. SEA HELNS5 or SEA BUWZO KRATR2 is what's use real world unless you are flying something with much less performance.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thanks for the help guys.

Overload I've looked at the charts and see a Georgia 5 SID but not a 4?  Are you departing rwy 13?

I'm guessing but does 'DCT' mean direct?

EDIT 

After posting I see that SKIFF has answered my question on the meaning of DCT.  Thank you SKIFF for breaking down the route for me.  Now I just need to find a good guide/tutorial to learn the route nomenclature.

Cheers!

Overload I've looked at the charts and see a Georgia 5 SID but not a 4?  Are you departing rwy 13?

I'm running an old AIRAC on my PFPX, the SID changed to a 5 now, but doubt there's a huge difference. I did try FlightAware to get a genuine jet route, but all it turned up was Dash 8 routes. The quick route function of PFPX is often a bit hit and miss, which is why I look for a genuine plan if possible.

Eugene

For some reason PFPX has difficulty with CYVR that makes no sense sometimes. Most flightplans out of PFPX are pretty good, but whenever it looks quite odd/no sense, go and verify what the real world is using at http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/

or similar real world IFR databases.

If you punch in CYVR-KPDX you will see routes flown for what Dave_YVR posted.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png