Sign in to follow this  
whoispankaj

Anybody has screwed up nvidia driver in windows 10

Hello,

Yesterday after the windows update my monitor resolution has screwed up.Looks like windows updated an old version of the driver.Now inspite of updating the driver from nvidia site the resilution is not back.The nvidia graphics card has stopped working and its back to onboard graphics..i installed an old version of the driver and i was able to get the resolution back.but the update screwed it up again.Looks like i will have to wait til microsoft fixes this..Anybody in the same boat?

Not exactly, but the first nvidia driver that wu pushed was a really screw up. Download the latest version of DUU and nvidia driver 355.60. Run DUU in safe mode, reboot, install drivers, reboot. Disable driver updates thru device settings. Windows will still push windows updates, but won't push drivers. Hope that helps a little.

What is DUU

Driver uninstall utility. Search nvidia DUU , its on the guru3d.com site. It wipes all old display drivers and their associated applications. It gets you as close as possible to a clean driver install.

When my Windows 10 update on my 8.1 machine finished, I worked myself nearly to death trying to get nVidia drivers to load.  They would just quit and go to the on-board graphics.  I shut down the machine and went off to do something else and when I restarted, the nVidia drivers had installed.  I since went to the site and loaded the 355.xx drivers and they work great with X-Plane - the best ones in a good while.

John

Edit - I have updated several Win 7 machines since then and none of them has had this problem.

John Wingold

Ok cool let me download it and will report back

Ok..now this makes no sense.i unstalled the drivers using DUU.Rebooted.It was full resolution on onboard graphics.Disabked the driver updates through device settings.Installed the driver from nvidia site.Rebooted.My resolution is screwed up again and i see no way to update the settings.It comes as disabled.Now I am wondering if there is a problem with the nvidia driver itself.because if i install an older version of driver the resolution is back.install the newer version 355.60 and its screwed again

I can still see the nvidia windows updates ready to be installed in windows update section.So i am pretty sure that windows did not install the nvidia driver

On start of geforce experience it still says that a new version of driver is available .But i have already installed that version from the site.huh

Let the Windows update do it's thing and then, I think, you will be able to do what you have done in the past.  There are nVidia drivers other than the graphics drivers at work here.

John

John Wingold

Thanks all for your help guys..for now i have reverted to an old driver which i had and its working..on the top i just purchased a 43 inch 4k tv and it loooks awesome