Sign in to follow this  
lgvdbroek

IAN Approach

Hi guys,

I want to make a IAN approach for the first time but I don't see the ghost indicators in my PFD display.

In the manual I read IAN "(As installed)"

Do I have to install this feature ?

If so, how do I install this ?

Regards, Leo Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

[removed email]

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Integrated Approach Navigation will look very similar to an ILS approach, I am missing the meaning of ghost indicators.  Refer to the FCTM pg 5.60 for normal procedures. Note that the FMA pitch mode annunciation is GP instead of GS, other indications will vary depending on the approach.

It is included, and as explained in the reference it is part of the FMC U10.5 or later, which you have in the PMDG product.

If you have a valid ILS frequency tuned in being recognized by the AFDS, you might show B/C LOC or GS in white letters (armed) instead of the FAC and G/P on the roll and pitch modes.

Hi guys,

I want to make a IAN approach for the first time but I don't see the ghost indicators in my PFD display.

In the manual I read IAN "(As installed)"

Do I have to install this feature ?

If so, how do I install this ?

Regards, Leo Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

[removed email]

Hi Leo,

Capturing the IAN glidepath and final approach course via the MCP is very similar to capturing an ILS glideslope and localizer. Firstly, select a valid RNAV approach from the FMC database (on the Approachs page). As you approach the final approach fix, with VNAV and LNAV armed/engaged, you should press the APP button on the Mode Control Panel. This should result in having FAC  (final approach course) and GP (glidepath)  display on your FMA in gray colors beneath the active modes (in green) whichever they may be (If you are already flying with Vnav and Lnav the active modes should be LNAV and VNAV PTH. The FAC and GP annunciations will eventually engage and become green on the FMA, much like LOC and GS would - were you capturing a localizer and glideslope signal in an ILS approach. Simply let the autopilot fly the airplane down to the minima or fly it yourself using the flight director cues in the PFD. 

Oke tnx Dan, Alberto, Victor for all the suggestions.

I'will try it again. I want to master this technique special for the Greece Islands. Only Athens has an ILS. And none of the islands.

The problem is, that I have on the baseline of the Primary Flight Director only the localizer indicators.

(Two white markers and a magenta triangel.) But on the right side in the PFD I've got no virtual Glideslobe indication.

Is it a setup problem in my PMDG CDU ? I know that a right local QNH setting is crucial, and do not set a valid ILS freq in your NAV otherwise this will overide the APP procedure.

I followed a IAN class by  http://www.prosim4u.nl and there I had 5 magenta circles on the right side and in the baseline of my PFD.

BTW, Is it possible to attach a screenshot on this forum ?

Maybe it will be recognized by one of you.

Regards,

Leo,