Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

So...

Is the current PMDG 747 sim that bad that it really needs a complete re-design?  I rarely fly the 747, but how much better can it(new one)  really be??

Paul Gugliotta

Is the current PMDG 747 sim that bad that it really needs a complete re-design?  I rarely fly the 747, but how much better can it(new one)  really be??

It isn't bad, but the visuals in the VC are very, very dated. Additionally, it doesn't have the flexibility with the options that the NGX and 777 have (some are there, but they are limited, and they're through an Options menu, and not the FMC-based menus), and there are other optimizations to be gained. Moreover, the new 744 can be deployed on a distributed network of computers for home flight deck builds. That's a PMDG first, there.

Kyle Rodgers

Moreover, the new 744 can be deployed on a distributed network of computers for home flight deck builds. That's a PMDG first, there.
That's the first time this has been made public AFAIK Kyle, any elaboration possible? Or not at this stage?

That's the first time this has been made public AFAIK Kyle, any elaboration possible? Or not at this stage?

It was actually announced 3 months-ish ago:

(21:00 min in)

Kyle Rodgers

And will that happen with the ngx :) or will it be a separate product for that functionality?

747 is a day one buy but my cockpit build is going ng rather than 4 engines.

Chris

My guess, like Dan's is marketing. I'm guessing they thought the old 'hundred' designators seemed out-dated, but that's only my guess. The decision to skip 500 (5) and 600 (6) and 700 (7) also seems a bit odd, but I'm guessing it was related to the 747 receiving some of the technology realized in the 787.

There is also the issue of what comes after the -900. A -1000 series is a bit awkward especially if you add a customer ID. This is made worse by the way they now start at the -8 version these days. Previously they always started at -200 leaving plenty of scope for future versions. Now Boeing and Airbus both have -8 or -800 as the base versions of new aircraft.

The original theory for this was that asian customers supposedly like the number 8. But if all aircraft have it there is no marketing advantage. I guess the real idea is to have version numbers in order of capability. Fair enough, but what happens in ten years time when a 787NG might be considered?

ki9cAAb.jpg

First I hope PMDG is one of the Betatester for P3D v3.  :) Would be nice to have PMDG ready when LMs P3Dv3 comes out. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Some years ago i spent time with flight simming, and got the current version. This summer i started again, more focused on learning the systems, etc. and be able to operate it properly.

The more stunned i got when i noticed PMDG is actually making a second version! I can hardly wait - i think this will be awesome :-)

*whisper weather radar in sleep*