Sign in to follow this  
williambuxton

Graphics card upgrade question

With your help I have decided to go for the GTX 970 for now. There are so many models it's hard to decide. I'm not interested in doing my own OC of a GPU but like fast and quiet. Would this be a good choice?  Or does it matter?

EVGA GTX 970 Superclock ACX 2.0

Thanks again and good luck on your next build.

Bill

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow (white)   PS: EVGA Gold 1000W  MB: ASUS Z790-A  CPU: Intel i9 13900K  Liquid Cooler: Cooler Master ML 240  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-5 5600 CL36   Video Card: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4090 SSD: 2- Samsung 980 Pro 1T M.2  OS: Windows 11 Home 64 bit  Other: CH stick, throttle, pedals. MSFS2020, PMDG 737

Excellent choice.  If you are running at 1920x1080 resolution that card will serve you well.  Bottom line...things will be better, though by how much is a guess.  I really hope you read though that thread I linked in my ealier post.  Word Not Allowed, an FSX guru, reported in his blog the same P3D experience with a GPU upgrade, finding that overall P3D is still seriously CPU bound.  Fortunately you know for sure going into this upgrade that your computer currently is GPU bound.

Be sure to register your waranty with evga in the first 30 days.  Note too that egva has a 90 day "step up" program in which they, in return for your card, will apply the full purchase price of your card towards a higher model evga card. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Thanks for the advice about the warranty and step-up program. I did read the the full post you mentioned. It is a valuable cautionary tale. I hope everyone contemplating a GPU upgrade sees it. I think I will be OK with the 970. I have a decent system that gives me good results but it's clear the GPU could be a little stronger.

I'll report on how it works out.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow (white)   PS: EVGA Gold 1000W  MB: ASUS Z790-A  CPU: Intel i9 13900K  Liquid Cooler: Cooler Master ML 240  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-5 5600 CL36   Video Card: Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4090 SSD: 2- Samsung 980 Pro 1T M.2  OS: Windows 11 Home 64 bit  Other: CH stick, throttle, pedals. MSFS2020, PMDG 737

After too many months of not being able to fly because of what turned out to be a bad video card (Gigabyte GTX670), which failed in less than three years, I ordered an EVGA 980ti SC+ FTW card. Should be here tomorrow. I went ahead with the 980 because I hope to rebuild my system within a year and I think the 980 will see me for a good while.  Lot of money, but if it lasts like I think it will, I'll be good to go.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I installed the 970 and I'm very pleased with the results. GPU usage is down to 30% running two monitors. The system I have isn't the strongest but it seems nicely balanced and will do nicely until I upgrade my MB and CPU.

Thanks for the help with this decision. It was a good one.