Sign in to follow this  
j0nz

Low FPS?

Hi Steve,

In Light/Effects I have "All Effects" enabled, the "Convert Effects" box is ticked and and the two "Exclude" boxes are unticked.

Regarding PrecipFx, I have it optimised for DX10, but I guess I'd better try taking that out of the equation and report back.

The saga continues.......... :nea:

****MIKE****

I wouldn't want to try looking at contrails with all effects set - it's a huge performance hit (circa 50% ) to convert particulate effects.

I recommend that its set to light effects only.

If anything is an issue with that setting then there are much better ways than using all effects.

Hi Steve,

I've set "light effects only" in the "light effects" section and I'm back up in the low 20's now which is much better than about 8 fps! Ok, now I'm a little confused.  Do I leave "Convert effects" ticked or not? Also, what am I seeing now? are the contrails and wing tip vortices FSX or Precipitfx? I've been doing some research over in the Avsim Precipitfx forum and never realised what an issue fps is using Precipitfx in DX10 as it didn't seem to affect DX9. I've also re-read the Precipitfx manual and I found the following "DirectX10 is fully compatible when used with the SteveFX Scenery Fixer. DX10 enhances the look of many effects and gives a softer look to volumetric lighting. We highly suggest it!" I've checked my Preciptfx installation and the box is ticked for DX10 compatibility.

I hope that you can clarify these points for me.

Many thanks once again.

****MIKE****

As a user of both, DX10 with the SceneryFixer and PrecipitFX i can tell you, that the effects of PrecipitFX are not designed for DX10...they are just compatible :) As their manual says, you have to use the SceneryFixer. BUT...all particle effects are very demanding.

So, there are two ways:

1) tick EXLUDE PARTICLE EFFECTS and accept, that the contrails perhaps are visible on one engine only, same with brake smoke or spray effects from the tires.

2) untick EXCLUDE PARTICLE EFFECTS and enjoy the effects of PrecipitFX...but depending on your overall system performance, deactivate some of the effects in the precipitFX menu. That's the way i do. As i like a lot of contrails of AI planes, i am not able to use the precipitFX contrails, so i deactivated them in the precipitFX Installation menu.

Hope that helps a Little bit.

Matthias

If there is an issue preciptfx just need to add a couple of dummy texture changes to the beginning of the contrail effect. That should fix it I would have thought,

Thank you Matthias and Steve. I guess I'll just have to experiment some more until I can save up for a faster computer!! Thanks Steve for all your advice particularly as it wasn't really an issue with your fixer after all. I guess that's the whole idea of these forums really. What's been discussed here may help others with similar issues. Merry Xmas to you all!!

****MIKE****

it is a dx10 issue though.   The big remaining issue with DX10 is effects, primarily with light effects. 

When I first created the fixer I converted all effects but quickly found that it caused performance issues with spray and contrails. So  I then added the other two options that you see to convert just lights or to convert all effects except particulate effects like steam, spray and contrails.   These two settings avoid the big performance hit.

If there are issues with spray that can only be fixed by conversion then there are better ways to do it that impact performance less.