Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Rain and snow in P3Dv3

Yep, found the problem myself.

In order for PrecipitFX to add the effects it's not enough to simply have an [EFFECTS] line in the aircraft.cfg file but you also need to include the default effects so it looks like below. This is for MT6 models, not sure how other models might look.

[EFFECTS]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray
dirt=fx_tchdrt
concrete=fx_sparks
touchdown=fx_tchdwn, 1

If you make sure this is in the aircraft.cfg and you place the folder containing the model under ...SimObjects\Airplanes PrecipitFX will add it's magic to the aircraft.cfg file and you can then move the folder back to its original location.

Richard Åsberg

Hey Richard,

If you run SGSS AA and the rain gets heavy it can cause some stutters (even with SLI setup) ... turn SGSS AA off and stutters will go away with heavy rain/snow.

Adding the PrecipitFX to AI aircraft, wow, brave soul ... hope we don't hear any complaints about stutters!  ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Hi there Rob,

Haven't been using SGSS AA for quite some time now or more specific since I got my 4K screen to stop you nagging me about it :wink: Jokes aside I'm very happy with my 4K screen (curved TV in fact) and with the 980 Ti the performance is really good and no AA issues.

Honestly I didn't even think of the performance impact adding PrecipitFX to all AI models might have but if I get poor performance and/or stutters at least I know what to look for.

Since my main goal when I started this thread was to find out about the rain and snow effects in P3Dv3 that will also be my main goal now when trying out PrecipitFX again and just want to confirm...the rain and snow effects provided by PrecipitFX is a global thing right and not tied to a specific a/c model or the effects section in the aircraft.cfg files - correct?

Richard Åsberg

If You want to troll Ryan - then find a another Forum or else reply?

I would look at his post count and look though his posts, you would if you took the time to do just that, you would see he is very helpful to others and contribute to the community. Instead you jump to wild conclusion.

With a post count of just 100 and ill informed remarks like that its yourself that comes across as a troll.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Ooops,  did J.LSeagull bit off more then he could chew :vava:   :He He:

Back on track................Rain and Snow in V3     *more discussions please*   I insist 

Ooops,  did J.LSeagull bit off more then he could chew :vava:   :He He:

Back on track................Rain and Snow in V3     *more discussions please*   I insist 

Oh here I am lol!  I've come back to keep the thread alive  :Tounge:

Sorry I was grocery shopping, putting our downstairs back together (we got a new furnace with ng wooo!), feeding the kids dinner, cleaning up after dinner, preparing baby bottles for the night (for my preemie son  :wub:  ) and now I am replying!

No I didn't intend to troll, I just think the lights look like big cartoon lights.  But if it's foggy I say it looks 100% spot on.  In the tower (aka work) the airplane lights that pass by look just like that at night if it's pretty foggy (or some visible moisture is dropping the visibility).  If there is no drop is vis the lights are pretty sharp and don't make those huge halos.

BTW, I own PrecipitFX (or however you spell that dang software) and enjoy it!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |