Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Rain and snow in P3Dv3

For you guys already running P3Dv3, has there been an improvement to how rain and snow are depicted and the notorious "tunnel" effect or is it still as bad as in previous versions?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Actually I already own that one but didn't bother installing it on my new system.

Mainly because as I remember it I had some weird stuttering/performance issues in the past that went away the moment I got rid of PrecipitFX but also I can't remember I ever noticed any big improvements looking at the precipitation effects but maybe I should give it a second go.

And back to my main question I guess this means nothing has been done to improve the built-in precipitation effects on version 3?

Ok, you've convinced me to at least give it a second chance :)

No I don't think so.

It might of had a few patches since you used it. I ran it in 2.5 and it was one of the first things I installed into v3, in rain the difference is black and white.

How is it on the FPS? VAS?

Thanks,

0 on both

That add-on is worth it's weight in gold.   I see no VAS or FPS loss either, only sweet looking visuals for rain and snow.   I don't think the shaders were updated for rain and snow in 3.0.    At least it looked the same to me the other day.

Sorry, don't want to steer  the tread another direction. My apologies to the OP.

Do you have the Generic product or the A320 T7 Immersion?

If no impact on the frames I think that I'm the next customer.

How is it on the FPS? VAS?

Thanks,

As mentioned above I used to have some stuttering issues despite having a powerful rig but after the positive feedback here I'll definitely give it another spin. Maybe after some patches since I last tried it things have been improved.

Sorry, don't want to steer the tread another direction. My apologies to the OP.

NP and I'm too looking forward to try it out again after all this praise. Will also check what version I own because looks like there's product specific as well as a general version?

That add-on is worth it's weight in gold. I see no VAS or FPS loss either, only sweet looking visuals for rain and snow. I don't think the shaders were updated for rain and snow in 3.0. At least it looked the same to me the other day.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.

Yes, that's my problem too, as I own both the Aerosoft and the PMDG. I'm looking at the Generic version now.

As I said, my only concern is the performance of this product.

Sorry, don't want to steer  the tread another direction. My apologies to the OP.

We are just taking about 

https://fsfxpackages.com/en/precipitFX/ not the Immersion.

Just noticed there's no version for the NGX which caught me with a bit of surprise considering the NGX is probably one of the most popular and wide spread a/c ever released.

Well...looking forward to try the general version out another time and making sure I get the latest version.

Got it. 14 Euros. Man, the taxes here in Germany suck balls.

Just noticed there's no version for the NGX which caught me with a bit of surprise considering the NGX is probably one of the most popular and wide spread a/c ever released.

Well...looking forward to try the general version out another time and making sure I get the latest version.

They are working on 737 version now and looks like it will be the best yet - they are going to model actual rain effect in the glow of the lights - check it out - looks amazing

Hi guys go try this tweak from the old v2.x dont know if it still works but it is worth a try. It is from a guy over in the P3D forums. I did that myself in v2.x and it made a huge difference even when applying FSFX package. 

edit the Rain.fx in the ShadersHLSL folder.

change line 64 from

float4 cColor = float4(1,1,1,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

to

float4 cColor = float4(0.4,0.4,0.4,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

then delete the files in the folder: %localappdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

(those files will be recreated when you run p3d)

Hi guys go try this tweak from the old v2.x dont know if it still works but it is worth a try. It is from a guy over in the P3D forums. I did that myself in v2.x and it made a huge difference even when applying FSFX package. 

edit the Rain.fx in the ShadersHLSL folder.

change line 64 from

float4 cColor = float4(1,1,1,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

to

float4 cColor = float4(0.4,0.4,0.4,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

then delete the files in the folder: %localappdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

(those files will be recreated when you run p3d)

Cool, will try this out if I'm not happy with the result I get after installing PrecipitFX.

Thanks for sharing!

...and should also mention speaking about PrecipitFX for anyone who will try this out that in order to get the effect also for your AI models if you're using a package such as MT6 it looks like you need to manually move all the MT6 models to the ...SimObjects\Airplanes folder within P3D before you install the PrecipitFX effects and then you can move them back into their original location. You should also make sure all AI models have the [EFFECTS] section in their aircraft.cfg file. Failing to do any of these steps will result in not having the PrecipitFX effects for your AI models. At least this is how I understood it but you could of course investigate further on your own.

They are working on 737 version now and looks like it will be the best yet - they are going to model actual rain effect in the glow of the lights - check it out - looks amazing

Sounds nice, will have a look at this tonight.

Is anyone here having isssus where the effects are only visible while looking to the right or to the left? If looking straight ahead I cant really see the rain.

Holy cow that rain! I mean it's basically eye candy but hot dang that looks nice!

Just watched the clip and boy I'm looking forward to that one!

For you guys already running P3Dv3, has there been an improvement to how rain and snow are depicted and the notorious "tunnel" effect or is it still as bad as in previous versions?

still the same snow and rain :P

The proposed volumetric lighting looks very impressive as well....

Who needs to fly in V3 when you will soon be able to run around in the dark, in avatar mode, replete with umbrella and flashlight looking for stowaways in the wheel wells?  Could spawn a whole new Sim ..... Illegalz!   :Party:

https://youtu.be/eux4J3m_jD0

If that's in fog only, I agree. Otherwise it looks silly I think.

If that's in fog only, I agree. Otherwise it looks silly I think.

It may "look silly" today [your quote not mine] Ryan..... but it just goes to prove that third party developers still have the faith, imagination and belief to look at the possibilities afforded by this ever-expanding Sim platform that is LM and P3D (the very same one(s) that we often berate unnecessarily), and that they are more than willing to devote time, effort, expertise and expense into trying to secure a future market in this (rather limited) Flight Simulation arena.

As a personal aside - If these particular effects were to be introduced into more modern 'games' - e.g. GTA, Assassin's Creed or The Witcher series, then wouldn't they just be accepted as 'normal' and/or 'to be expected', by the great mass of other [ Platform/Sim/Genre/Age/Intellect - Delete as appropriate] users?

Just try to imagine contacting Approach at EGLL after an overnight Long-Haul from KSFO only to be be told that you are being diverted to A.N.Other Airport because the UK is FogBound? Bring it on!!!! That is what happens in the Real World and if you haven't planned your flight from KSFO to EGLL properly and you fall out of the sky when the tanks run dry then.... ?

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the difference between 'Gamers ... i.e. 'Gimme It All NOW' and V3 Simmers is probably the reality factor? Hmmmm.....

Perhaps THAT is the line that differentiates the Gamers from the Simmers in this Forum?

Care to declare your Interest Sir? Aye or Nay? Your choice as always...