Sign in to follow this  
Jim Robinson

Real World F406 at Work?

This guy must be sourcing some aerial imagery, check out the flight path, I wonder how they plotted that one out in the GTN? :smile:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N27NW/history/20151026/1406Z/KBDL/KDXR

Why are they calling this a Cessna F406 Vigilant? I've never seen it called that before. I think I have the right airplane, you can click on the photos link and look at the pics, this one for example says Caravan II right on the fuselage.

Well anyway, just thought that was interesting. Hope you're all enjoying your F406 flights, I definitely am!

I've seen flight paths like that several times on Flightaware. Usually done by some company with an aerial survey name, not the holding company. Lot of back and forth going on there.

Not sure why the two names for this plane. Maybe depending on country?

CarIIb.jpg

Looks like it is being operated by North West Geomatics, Ltd. You can see the aerial camera window in the belly of the aircraft in one of the photos. According to one comment it was formerly a French Army target towing aircraft.

Have a look here: http://www.nwgeo.com/products/acquisition.php

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Interesting stuff, I wonder if the pilot gets tired of flying north/south, north/south all day long? :smile: Looks like "Vigilant" is used mostly when the aircraft is used in a govt capacity, maybe that's a military designation? Maybe Caravan II is the "academic license"? :P

So where's everybody flying? Anyone got any favorite approaches? Do you guys fly the same approach over and over again when you can't nail it the first time? I've been trying to perfect my KEGE LDA 25, probably 10 tries now, I've always made the landing but I still don't feel like I've nailed it. Nice flight is to leave KAPA Denver Centennial on the rocky two departure, the RLG (Kremmling) transition sets you up perfectly for the LDA at Eagle. I took some pics:

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/kapa_kege.html

Another fun approach I did on my way to Eagle was ILS 17 at KLGU Logan, UT from the MLD (Malad VOR) transition, you do a little DME arc through the valley there which was pretty scenic at dusk. You need an afcad update though because the ILS frequency isn't in the FSX/P3D database. :sad:

Time for a flight, have fun guys!

Gorgeous shots, Jim.  Man, that's a pretty model and more in line with what I think Carenado does well with - mostly analog cockpit with 3rd party GPS integration to do the heavy lifting.

Scott

Why are they calling this a Cessna F406 Vigilant? I've never seen it called that before. I think I have the right airplane, you can click on the photos link and look at the pics, this one for example says Caravan II right on the fuselage.

Hey Jim.  I think it's just the name that Flightaware has generically associated with the type "F406".  I believe the "Vigilant" is what Reims calls the maritime surveillance version of the F406.  Seems like a mistake on Flightaware's part.

The 404 and its derivatives (particularly the C441) seem to be a favorite with aerial mapping and photo outfits.  Not surprising to see the only F406 in the continental US put to work in that role.  I definitely wonder about the history behind the "Denver-Calgary" decal on the tail of N27NW.