Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

"Flying" magazine - not what it used to be? Or... ?

I picked up the most recent copy of Flying at my newsstand...Please, someone tell me: didn't it used to be a lot better? Back when I first read it, it seemed pretty thrilling.I mean, there are some good and reasonably interesting articles. But they are few and far between in this issue, and I'm not embarrased to say that the ads with all the Garmin 1000s were more exiting than most of the rest of the content.Stories about a bunch of airline pilots flying around, getting tipsy each night, and talking about aviation at good dinners... well, that may bring back the warm fuzzies for some old-timers I guess. But I'm not an old-timer yet. That article felt rather pompous and exclusive.I dunno. I'm sure there are better mags for students (which I am) but I can't imagine any point in my life when I'll warmly reflect on someone else's booze tours. They got to deliver a brand-new 737. Nice. How about telling me about the flight?An article about angle-of-attack. Stretched desperately thin... if it takes that long to explain it, trust me, there's a better approach. (Hey! Pun!)An article about a 24-year old which I only skimmed, so I can't accurately comment - but it came off like his friend's dad bought a jet center and hired him, so he's flying everything. Jealous? You bet I am. But do I really care, and can I learn from it? Not really, and I don't know.An article about homebuilts. Yeah, they can be $60K not including avionics. Well, I guess if I really was interested I'd buy a kit magazine.Maybe, as I said, I should just stick to student mags. I'm picking up lessons again soon, and would rather read something a little more down-to-earth (there I go again) on average.I mean, Lane Wallace is cute and all, traveling with her "friend" ;) but when the ads are more interesting than the content, I have to suppose I'm looking in the wrong place.Andrew

Guest ba747heavy

Andrew,I like FLYING mag, but your right, it isn't what it used to be. Some reader have emailed in saying they need to rename the mag to 'Turbine Flying Mag'.....they aren't too far off of the truth. I am not sure I will be renewing my subscription next go. I have Private Pilot Mag and I think that magazine is worth the money and not overtaken by ads (yet).

I've only had a few issues of flying, but from those I think I can be allowed to say I agree. Private Pilot still remains an excellent magazine, in my opinion. :)--Jason

Guest GOP

I'm a long time subscriber to both magazines, ok I get them second hand! Just looking back at my back issues to 2003 I agree.

>Please, someone tell me: didn't it used to be a lot better?>Back when I first read it, it seemed pretty thrilling.I don't know. I am a fairly new subscriber - say for the last 6 years. It all depends on personal preference. For example I really love to read two columns by Peter Garisson : "Technicalities" and "Aftermath". I don't know of any other aviation magazines that would offer anything of equivalent depth and quality. I also find lots of good and original writing by McClellan. On the other hand both Lane Wallace and Richard Collins seem overrated. I suggest you read a few different monthly issues before rendering a verdict.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest davidvoogd

I read Flying and enjoy it, but I never read it before so I wouldn't know what changed.If you like piston engined aircraft I recommend Plane and Pilot - it's all piston engine GA. A great read is Canadian Aviator - not sure if you can get it in the US - though I'm pretty sure you could subscribe to it. www.canadianaviatormagazine.comwww.planeandpilotmag.com