Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

Trying to learn how to land manually

Haha really guys, I appreciate all the input..... I can't really "feel" when the undercarriage hits the ground, for example, ...

You can with OpusFsX And a ButtKicker..Driven by a separate plug-in SoundBlaster USB sound card....

Opus has complete support for the "FEEL". Short of a motion base, OpusFsX and ButtKicker... Give you the feel of:

1.Increased turbulence thus low frequency rumble with increasing flap extension.

2.Same with the gear, but added to that is the satisfying "mechanical thump",as the gear locks down, and maybe even larger "thump" (subjective), when the gear is stowed.

3. Especially in the A2A planes, Air turbulence caused by sudden changes in attitude, and weather.

4. The cockpit and the vibrations of the aircraft...

5. On the takeoffs, rumble of un-even runways.

6. On landings, you better "Grease it" or your butt will suffer the consequences… Just as your aircraft's undercarriage would. At least, with A2A AC, you can take it to the shop for repairs…

7. And... it's tunable, so your butt won't get too very sore.… Grin.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Basic flying:

i) Take off in a small aircraft then manually fly straight and level using trim. Practice 20 times.

ii) Do gentle left and right turns without gaining or losing 50 feet. Practice 20 times.

iii) Do steeper turns by adding power and keep the nose dead on the horizon. Roll out exactly on desired heading. Practice 20 times.

Then....

1. Pick a stable small aircraft. Line it up and select full power. Rotate gently at 65 knots then trim for gentle climb.

2. Turn left and aim for 1,200 above airfield. Turn left again a mile out with ever so slight back pressure.

2a. Level off at 1,200 feet and stay parallel with downwind runway. Compensate for crosswind.

3. When opposite threshold of downwind runway reduce height and reduce power for 85 knots descent. Check gear and flaps.

4. Turn base at around 800 feet and aim for descent to 450-600 feet above airfield, reduce speed to 80 knots. Then turn left again to line up.

5. Control speed with attitude/trim and descent with throttle - the complete opposite of what most assume at first.

6. Reduce speed to 75 knots, deploy flaps and descend at 500 feet per minute. If the runway rises in your ahead view add power. If the runway falls reduce power.

7. Shoot final approach. DO NOT TRY to land by flying aircraft on to tarmac. Hold off aircraft with throttle idle and keep flying until aircraft wants to sink by itself. Practice 100 times!

8. When you can do the above almost without conscious thought, try everything else.

9. If you cannot do any of i) ii) or iii) or 1-7 don't even set foot in a multi engined aircraft or use any autopilot!

10. Start autopilot training with a MANUAL capture of a VOR beacon and track it manually, dead centre with crosswind and at a constant altitude.

11) Tune to an ADF and same as above

12) Practice a reciprocal VOR/ADF course MANUALLY

Switch off any GPS, Map, or visual aid and set visibility to less and less while doing above. Then try all the above at night.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page