Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Making two monitors work with FSX in full screen mode

Is there an easy way to make a second monitor display a flight planning program (for example) while FSX is running on the primary monitor in full screen mode? When I try this the second monitor always goes black.

I am using a GTX780 Ti Superclocked graphics card and Windows 10 Pro x64 if that matters.

Also, assuming it can be done, will doing this have a noticeable impact on frame rates in the sim?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Guest JustanotherPilot

Have you tried a google or youtube search on how?

You serious? You actually bothered to type that?! Well, do us all a favour , don't bother.

My question still stands to those that are not just-another-troll-pilot.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I really don't think that it's possible  unless the other software supports full screen as well (which i don't think anything does really). Back when I was using FSX on my home cockpit setup and wanted to use FSCommander for example I had it installed on another PC and used WideFS for it.

I have moved to P3D since version 2.5 now using v3 and never looked back to FSX.

P3D of course does not have "TRUE FULLSCREEN" and it has better support for running multi monitors then FSX

The only other way to go is to find something that will allow programn "FSX in this case" to run in window mode but without the borders I think there are some available but honestly don't know its been long time... however if that was a route you wanted to take might as well switch to P3D as it does that natively.

Andy

PS: FS9 is the last version that I recall had an addon moving map supporting full screen called if i recall FS-Navigator after that it was the end.

Thanks Andy,

This does indeed seem to be the case. The only workable option seems to be to run a separate PC networked using simconnect. For me that is not really an option. I have another PC (and decent monitor) lying around but it seems a huge hassle for the "novelty". I wa hoping some clever person had developed a software workaround as this has been a problem since FSX was released.

I really wanted it to display my PFPX flight plan data, not a moving map. For now, will just have to print it out. A bit rough on the trees though...

Cheers!

GregH

Why bother? Do search for borderless windowed mode. But you can also FSX in windowed mode with just the title bar showing plus a second monitor to park your flight plan and the windows task bar (wich will increase your fps). If you make your non fsx monitor the primary monitor it has been my experience that it gives you a significant fps boost as well - not sure why that happens but as I said it has been the case on my setup. Finally if you keep your mouse pointer off the fsx monitor you will get another fps boost.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."