Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

Yoke - newbie

Hi,

For many, many years I was using joystick to fly my beloved planes, but decided to step forward and bought Saitek Cessna yoke.

What is my experience after first 2 days ? - horrible !

I don't know how to fly.

Planes are having so slow response that controlling is hard challenge.

Q400 or 737 behave like fully loaded bomber from 2WW...

Same planes, same sim, but totally different experience.

Enough to say that I can hardly land my favourite planes which I know for years.

Even I manage to land, my landings are horrible.

Please tell me, my problem is something which is coming from lack of 'yoke experience', or something is to be setup differently ?

( my yoke has full sensitivity and almost zero dead zone set up in FSX )

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you tried calibration? Also having a yoke makes things more realistic so aircraft will handle differently with yoke. I think the main difference is the amount of travel required to get the same amount of control serface movement. Use trim! !! If the planes nose drops with the yoke neutral then you need up trim. As your speed drops and you put the gear and flaps out you'll need more and more trim. With a joystick you don't have to trim much with a yoke you need a lot of it.

Enough to say that I can hardly land my favourite planes which I know for years.

We will assume you have calibrated the yoke in Windows. The Saitek Cessna yoke has a full 180 degrees of travel in roll, which is undoubtedly much more than your joystick. This alone will make your yoke feel very different to your joystick. FSX also applies an exponential acceleration curve to your inputs, which essentially means your yoke gets more sensitive the further you turn it (watch the yoke animation in the virtual cockpit). This is designed to compensate for the fact that your joystick does not move as far as the real yoke does - this is no longer the case, so your yoke will behave sluggishly, at least in the roll axis. Make sure you have the sensitivity slider set to maximum, or FSX also delays application of the yoke input (kind of simulating damping, I would say).

You might try experimenting with  STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 in the [CONTROLS] section of fsx.cfg. However, i do not think this wil solve the problem. If you set this parameter, the sensitivity slider now simply limits the amount of deflection your yoke or joystick can command. This will let you stay out of the tail of that exponential curve but it will also limit the amount of control assertion you have. I think the only way to fix this is to edit the aircraft.cfg and bump up the 'fine control' scalars to be greater than 1.

What I think you really need to do is disable your controller in FSX and set it up with FSUIPC. This means you can ignore the sensitivity and null zone settings in FSX completely. It will also get rid of that exponential scaling and allow you to use a linear input from the ailerons and elevators. You can then modify this using FSUIPC's 'slope' settings to experiment with exponential or logarithmic curves to adjust the feel, sensitivity and null zones. If the Cessna yoke behaves like the basic 'Pro Flight' yoke you will also have hard-coded null zones at the centre of the pitch and roll axes that you cannot get rid of. You will also have a distinct mechanical 'notch' that makes fine control problematic around the central position.

You'll get used to it.

The yoke has a lot more travel than a joystick. What I suspect you'll find is that with the stick you became accustomed to putting in very large and abrupt control movements, simply because it's easy to slam the stick from stop to stop, or very close to it, very quickly. Apply full, or nearly full, control input to any aircraft and it'll respond quickly.

With the yoke, you actually have to move the control quite a long way to get the same amount of control deflection. This is more realistic, but the effect is that you will feel as though the aircraft is less responsive.

Given time you'll become accustomed to it and get smoother with the controls, which will in the long run make you a better pilot.

I had the same experience when I moved from stick to yoke -- it took a while to get used to the feel, but I wouldn't go back now.