Sign in to follow this  
Denco

How to get STAR approach - voxATC 6.52

Hi,

I'm sorry about this noobish question but I couldn't find an answer to it. In the manual it says:

"To be assigned a SID or STAR, your flight plan must have some waypoints that correspond with waypoints in the SIDs at your departure airport and/or STARs at your destination."

So I reckon no flight plan containing SID/STAR needs to be loaded beforehand? But what does the above even mean? Do I have to rename the waypoints and if so how do I know what to name them?

Regards

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Hi,

I'm sorry about this noobish question but I couldn't find an answer to it. In the manual it says:

"To be assigned a SID or STAR, your flight plan must have some waypoints that correspond with waypoints in the SIDs at your departure airport and/or STARs at your destination."

So I reckon no flight plan containing SID/STAR needs to be loaded beforehand? But what does the above even mean? Do I have to rename the waypoints and if so how do I know what to name them?

Regards

It means that your flight plan must start with a SID waypoint and end with a STAR waypoint. To do that you should create flight plans with planners like PFPX(payware) or Vroutes(freeware).

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

It means that your flight plan must start with a SID waypoint and end with a STAR waypoint. To do that you should create flight plans with planners like PFPX(payware) or Vroutes(freeware).

Thank you :)

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

So I've scouted the web a bit because because it didn't made any sense to assign my own STAR since I believe they are depended on the weather. Anyway I found a few interesting replies and would like to know if anyone can confirms this. Is it true that the flight plan does not need SID/STAR included? If so how do you make a waypoint that correlates to SID and STAR.

What I am saying is that you don't add SID or STAR to your flight plan. You listen to the ATIS => you get the runway in use. From the runway in use and your first waypoint you can pretty well guess what SID VoxATC will clear you to fly.

Small addition: you should have your SID exit point and STAR entry point in your flight plan.

Vox auto assign them for you, that is the real great magic of Vox...Remember though.. To be assigned a SID or STAR, your flight plan must have some waypoints that correspond withwaypoints in the SIDs at your departure airport and/or STARs at your destination. The assignedprocedure may vary depending upon the runway in use.if you use vatawere or vroute.info, in most cases are ok/covered, as most of the routes there contain correspondingwaypoints , another reason why you should use them :)

I would advise you not to include those in your flight plan as that's the job of the ATC to decide on the SID/STARbased on the weather/RW in use and your flying route. that is why ATC are out there. (Vox is the only current ATC for FSX that supports Dynamic assigning SID/STAR).Let Vox assign you the SID/STAR.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

So I've scouted the web a bit because because it didn't made any sense to assign my own STAR since I believe they are depended on the weather. Anyway I found a few interesting replies and would like to know if anyone can confirms this. Is it true that the flight plan does not need SID/STAR included? If so how do you make a waypoint that correlates to SID and STAR.

some of those responses you quoted are kind of oversimplifying things which might be the source of your confusion.

typically each sid ends in a waypoint called the 'transition'. similarly each star begins with one. so in voxatc you need to have a flightplan that starts and ends on a transition! and it will pick the appropriate procedure choice that connects to that depending on the weather conditions.

to give you an example, have a look at the charts for KSFO on airnav. if you are arriving from the east, you might end your flightplan with the mina transition (MVA). now if you look at the charts for the modesto5 and the locke1 STARs you will see that they both include instructions for what to do from the MVA waypoint and beyond. MOD5 would be used if the conditions favored landing on the 28 runways, while LOCKE1 would be used for landing on the 19 runways. 

if you were coming from the northeast you might file mustang (FMG) as the last waypoint and this would still apply, both of these STARS feature that transition also.

there are a lot more complications beyond this but hopefully that explains it more clearly. think of the transition as the 'exit ramp' onto the star and then the specifically assinged star might change depending on conditions. as long as your flight plan starts and ends on those voxATC will attempt to make the right choice.

the same goes for SIDs. generally you file the first waypoint of your flightplan as a transition and then you'll get one assigned, although a lot of SIDS will include different instructions depending on the runway but still be the same SID, like the BOZEMAN5 departure out of KBZN for example specifically ends on the BZN waypoint no matter which runway you use. if you file that waypoint as your first you would most likely get that sid assigned, where if you filed DBS as your first waypoint it would assign the TEERX3 instead.

hope that helps some

cheers

-andy crosby

It sure does. Looks like I need a lot more researching but the above said helped me clear some confusion.Thx.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Although @spesimen is right in his reply , I believe it added more confusion to what you already have and not totally answered your questions.

1. that is correct you don't normally file a SID/STAR as part of the flight plan, although VOXAtc supports those if you do decide 

to file. In general SID/STAR are based on the RWY in use and the air route which you came from.

2. as to your "complicated" question on how to set your plan to include the waypoint which in return trigger a SID/STAR?

don't sweat over it. file a flight plan from the Airport, up until the airport (usually the airport VORs), 99% of the times the SID/STAR waypoint will be in it already,

under the assumption there is a SID/STAR for that airway. VOX doesn't needs the waypoint to be at the beginning/end of the flight plan to assign you a SID/STAR.

it just needs to contain it.

99% of the flight plans you will download from all kind of FP tools and websites, such as vroute, etc., contain the SID/STAR waypoint in them already.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

2. as to your "complicated" question on how to set your plan to include the waypoint which in return trigger a SID/STAR?

don't sweat over it. file a flight plan from the Airport, up until the airport (usually the airport VORs), 99% of the times the SID/STAR waypoint will be in it already,

under the assumption there is a SID/STAR for that airway. VOX doesn't needs the waypoint to be at the beginning/end of the flight plan to assign you a SID/STAR.

I stand corrected.

99% of the flight plans you will download from all kind of FP tools and websites, such as vroute, etc., contain the SID/STAR waypoint in them already.

Vroutes does have the option to include them or you can just download the flight plan from a SID way point to a STAR way point. As for PFPX, you can not save an FSX  plan, which VOXATC uses,  with full SIDs and STARs.

I use PFPX , if the dep and arr airports have SIDs and STARs respectively, PFPX will create a flight plan starting a with a SID point and ending with a STAR point. Of course, that is in Europe. In the US there will be transition  points. Someone with more experience would explain them better than I.  

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Although @spesimen is right in his reply , I believe it added more confusion to what you already have and not totally answered your questions.

1. that is correct you don't normally file a SID/STAR as part of the flight plan, although VOXAtc supports those if you do decide 

to file. In general SID/STAR are based on the RWY in use and the air route which you came from.

You answered my "complicated" question completely :)

Thx to all :)

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

You answered my "complicated" question completely :)

Thx to all :)

so why you selected "nam1394" as the one that answered it? :smile:  :Tounge:  (best answer)

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

so why you selected "nam1394" as the one that answered it? :smile:  :Tounge:  (best answer)

Sorry mate I pressed on the wrong button. Corrected and thank you again :)

Asus STRIX GTX 1080