I ran 970GTX with a Devil's Canyon clocked at 4.7GHz on a 750 and was ok but it did get warmer on load so I switched it to a 850 and now temps are in check. 980 is even bigger so take that in mind.

That surprises me to be honest Paul. 750 watts should be ample. Was it a dodgy make?

650 is the minimum that I would personally go for, 750 or 850 being preferred. I originally went for a rm750 when I built my new system last month. A day later, newegg ran a sale on the EVGA 850W Platinum for 115 and I snatched it up. I have a very efficient PSU that has more than enough power now and later if I decide to go to an SLI set up and it also carries a 10 year warranty.

The Rm750 was a good psu for the few days that I had it and was dead silent, as is my EVGA. Both get my vote.

Fantastic warranty on EVGA PSU's! That tells me they are confident in regard to the quality of their products. I went for Enermax Platimax, 5 year warranty.

That surprises me to be honest Paul. 750 watts should be ample. Was it a dodgy make?

Corsair platinum just don't remember the exact model.

What I found out is that you need some overhead for safe operation plus it puts less strain on components.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Corsair platinum just don't remember the exact model.

What I found out is that you need some overhead for safe operation plus it puts less strain on components.

Well yes, but 750 Watts should have been loads of overhead. The PSU shouldn't have been taxed at all.

I'd be curious as to what was getting warmer, and by how much.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.