Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Upgrade Suggestion is Needed (MB and Memory)

G'd morning,

I'm going to upgrade my current system which is Z77 based i7-2700k. My plan is to retain the existing 980Ti/6GB and 2TB Samsung EVO. Here is the list of the things I'd like to add.

1. i7-6700k

2. ASUS Z170 Deluxe

3. Memory - definitely DDR4, but I need an advise for the brands and types. Like this one per the link below

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&N=4294966965+4294863615+4294867069&myStore=false

4. Good reliable cooler for CPU

5. I still have 4-years old Corsair 1000W PSU. Do you think that perhaps it's time to replace it with a new one or I'm still ok to live with it for another 2-3 years?

Thanks for your suggestions

I have just ordered the following parts for my upgrade:

Cpu and MB are what you plan on.

Memory is Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000. 16g 4 sticks.

CPU cooler is Corsair Hydro H100i

MSI GTX 980ti OC edition. Probably order another for SLI.

1 250gb SamsunG EVO SSD for OS

1 500gb Samsung EVO SSD FOR P3D

CORSAIR 850 Gold power supply

Corsair 780T full size tower

Have fun with the upgrade. All my parts should be here by next week. All from Amazon.

Total cost about 2100 with tax and shipping.

Sean Green

G'd morning,

I'm going to upgrade my current system which is Z77 based i7-2700k. My plan is to retain the existing 980Ti/6GB and 2TB Samsung EVO. Here is the list of the things I'd like to add.

1. i7-6700k

2. ASUS Z170 Deluxe

3. Memory - definitely DDR4, but I need an advise for the brands and types. Like this one per the link below

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&N=4294966965+4294863615+4294867069&myStore=false

5. I still have 4-years old Corsair 1000W PSU. Do you think that perhaps it's time to replace it with a new one or I'm still ok to live with it for another 2-3 years?

Thanks for your suggestions

1. i7-6700k

Highly recommended! Everyone that's upgraded to Skylake here on Avsim has been delighted. I have the same CPU, not built yet, parts in boxes waiting. And it's not just speed, lots of other great skylake features on offer too.

2. ASUS Z170 Deluxe

Deluxe was my original choice. In the end I opted for the Z170-A, simply because I didn't need the extra features of the Deluxe.

I would strongly advise GSkill Ripjaw V or Trident Z... both designed specifically for Skylake.

http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-conquers-4000mhz-speed-barrier-and-releases-new-trident-z-and-ripjaws-v-series-ddr4-memory

I'm not a fan of all in one water coolers... so my preference was the new Noctua NH-D15S. The "S" variant has better RAM clearance and is further away from the PCIe slot. Fantastic cooler. Will handle any overclock your 6700K achieves, no pump to fail in a few years and leaks impossible. If you are an AIO kind of guy, then I would say the latest version of the Corsair H110 is the way to go. In either case you will need to check that the coolers fit in your enclosure.

Your Corsair 1000 watt PSU will be fine. I recall the warranty is longer than that. If I were being finicky, I would say this... for anything above 650 watt, multi-rail PSU's rather than single rail PSU's are safer. Safer in terms of over current protection. I believe the Corsiar PSU is single rail. If it's one of the "i" Corsiar PSU's the OCP chip can be switched to multi-rail within the software. Multi-rail PSU's are less likely to knacker other components in your system if something goes belly up.

As I say though, that would be my preference, me being finicky, a single rail 4 year old PSU would perform admirably. With such a huge wattage you are actually over specifying, so no issue at all in regard to capacitor degradation. You are still way above the PSU capacity you need.

I went for...

G.SKILL Ripjaw V Series F4-3200C16D-16GVR 16 GB (8 GBx2) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 1.35 V Memory Kit - Classic Black