Sign in to follow this  
molleh

Autogen question

Is there a tweak or setting that allows one to change how far out the autogen draws? I'm finding the default draw distance is a little too short, especially when viewing something like UTX street lights that pop into view. I've seen screenshots of people with autogen drawing for miles so I'd love to know how to do that. It doesn't seem to change with the LOD radius setting.

Yes, there is a way by configuring the p3d.cfg i am not in my computer right now so i cant tell you step by step how to do it, tomorrow i can give you a full answer :)

Here's a very good discussion of LOD (with colorful pictures!):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/452357-terrain-lod-slider-fsx-v-p3d/

Here's another view regarding LOD in FSX from a different FS message board (which can be found easily with Google):

The scenery elements are not square (and also get narrower (in miles) as you go further north), but the N-S dimensions are constant. The largest scenery element is about 39 km (n-s) and that's what you would have 8.5 of from you to the 'end' of the detail scenery; 39km approximately equal to 24 miles. 

Why the .5 in the radius? that accounts for the scenery cell you are in. In your case, you would be extending 8 units beyond the center one. Total width, about 400+ miles across in the mid-latitudes.

It's somewhat pointless to go beyond LOD = 6.5 in FSX, unless one has photoscenery and wants the scenery to be incredibly clear out to as far as one can see. The tree/street light "tweak above does push the autogen out further in P3d, but LOD is a real performance killer, so be forewarned.

• Upvote 1