Sign in to follow this  
freddieclarke13

Anti-aliasing... Help please!

Hi everyone

I am having a weird effect in my Prepar3D V2.5. It appears on the aircraft model that the Anti Aliasing is off, which it is not in my settings. I have a 4790k at 4.2 ghz and a GTX 950 2gb. It is most noticeable in the PMDG 737 on the wings, overhead and the edges of the displays. I will attach some screenshots asap. Is there something I could change in Nvidia Control Panel? 

Thanks

Freddie Clarke

Hello Freddie,

the AA in P3Dv2.x is pretty poor. Even @ 8MSAA you will see some rough edges. You could go with nVidia inspector and set 2 sparse grid supersampling. This has, unfortunately, an impact in performance. Mainly the GPU will be under heavy load with the 2xSGSS.

You can give it a try. Download the inspector, search for the prepar3d profile and try these settings. But for you start under ANTIALIASING - TRANSPARENT SUPERSAMPLING with 2 x SPARSE GRID SUPERSAMPLING that is the lowest SGSS. Under TEXTURE FILTERING LOD BIAS (DX) set -0.500. Under TEXTURE FILTERING QUALITY start with HIGH PERFORMANCE. You wont see much differnce in Quality but you will notice a better AA.

Hit "Apply Changes", delete the files in the P3D shader cache and start the sim. Within the sim set 2xMSAA.

Note 1: Always set the MSAA according to the SGSS.

Note 2: You might notice a decrease in performance when flying through clouds. 

g88u5hs.jpg

There are some different approaches concerning nVidia inspector settings. Some say "leave it" some say -like me- "give it a try and see if it is worth"

Im running  x SGSS as i have an SLI system so i have no performance decrease.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Why is it that MSAA has to match the level of SGSS you use? So if I use 2xSGSS in NVI I have to use MSAA 2x in P3D's UI? Do i have that correct?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hello Freddie,

the AA in P3Dv2.x is pretty poor. Even @ 8MSAA you will see some rough edges. You could go with nVidia inspector and set 2 sparse grid supersampling. This has, unfortunately, an impact in performance. Mainly the GPU will be under heavy load with the 2xSGSS.

You can give it a try. Download the inspector, search for the prepar3d profile and try these settings. But for you start under ANTIALIASING - TRANSPARENT SUPERSAMPLING with 2 x SPARSE GRID SUPERSAMPLING that is the lowest SGSS. Under TEXTURE FILTERING LOD BIAS (DX) set -0.500. Under TEXTURE FILTERING QUALITY start with HIGH PERFORMANCE. You wont see much differnce in Quality but you will notice a better AA.

Hit "Apply Changes", delete the files in the P3D shader cache and start the sim. Within the sim set 2xMSAA.

Note 1: Always set the MSAA according to the SGSS.

Note 2: You might notice a decrease in performance when flying through clouds. 

g88u5hs.jpg

There are some different approaches concerning nVidia inspector settings. Some say "leave it" some say -like me- "give it a try and see if it is worth"

Im running  x SGSS as i have an SLI system so i have no performance decrease.

I have your same settings with my two GTX980 in SLI

So, in your opinion, even with the latest drivers, Lod Bias -1.0000 is better than Driver Controlled LOD Bias?

Thank you very much for your help. I will try this out now.

Freddie Clarke

Hi Freddie,

let me know if it worked out for you :) THQ

Why is it that MSAA has to match the level of SGSS you use? So if I use 2xSGSS in NVI I have to use MSAA 2x in P3D's UI? Do i have that correct?

The reason for matching the MSAA to the SGSS are possible glitches and performance decrease. Pls check out this very old article.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1250100/nvidia-sparse-grid-supersampling

I have your same settings with my two GTX980 in SLI

So, in your opinion, even with the latest drivers, Lod Bias -1.0000 is better than Driver Controlled LOD Bias?

I suggest to read the article  above. 

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

I use two schemes depending on how much cloud coverage is involved.   All settings are the same for cloudy or more fair weather, except when lots of cloudy I use straight 4x Supersampling, and when more fair weather use 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling because cloud impacts on 4xSGSS is profound, whereas straight 4x SS not so bad.

In sim, always MSAA 4 Samples, but leave FXAA Off, Anisotropic 16x.

Not mentioned above and why I chimed in is a setting in nV Inspector under Compatibility>Antialiasing compatibility (DX1x) choose BioShock, BioShock 2.   This combined with the following, especially when 4xSGSS is used, provides the best possible total image quality for me with no swimming, image is sharp yet aliased very well for example in runway approach lines, runway side lines, and horizontal lines in the various aircraft liveries where AA troubles manifest.  You sacrifice some AA quality by going to 4xSS but because of how cloud textures respond to SGAA instructions the penalty is severe.  I am on a 4-5 y/o GTX Titan however old it is, w/ SB-E underneath.

Antialiasing - Mode:  Override any application setting

Antialisasing - Setting:  AA-MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X4v12

Anisotropic filtering mode:  Application-controlled

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias:  Clamp (not sure if this matters when Aniso filtering mode set to App-controlled)

Texture filtering - Quality:  High quality

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X