Sign in to follow this  
DannyR

GA and Helicopter Support

I am looking for a voice command program in preparation for moving to Oculus Rift.  I fly primarily helicopter and GA aircraft.  I need a program that will allow voice control of the radios, navs, cockpit switches and knobs, and, the GPS.  From reviewing the MCE website and the information on this forum it appears that MCE doesn't support helicopters and GA very much, particularly, when asking the Co-pilot to fly the aircraft.  Using the Co-pilot to fly is of no interest to me, so, no problem.  However, as stated above, I do need voice control over the cockpit functions.  

Does MCE provide control over helicopter and GA cockpit functions to include the GPS?

Any experiences and comments concerning use of MCE with helicopters and GA is appreciated.

Regards,

Danny

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Danny.

In my experience with MCE, in every aircraft I have flown in FSX, P3DV3 and X Plane, I have been able to use voice commands to tune the radios. That's comms frequencies, VOR, NDB and ILS and transponder.

In so far as MCE functionality with aircraft controls, obviously fully supported aircraft have full functionality. That's direct voice control and the ability to construct "flows" yourself via Vox Script. This latter function is very powerful and flexible, giving you the ability to have the First Officer/guy in the right hand seat, perform all the flows/procedures. By the book.

As far as helicopters are concerned, I have no experience.

GPS, well I use the GTN 750 and MCE enters all comms, VOR and Squawk codes.

All FSX/P3D/XP models that are native to each sim, have good MCE functionality.

The bottom line is, you can download MCE and try it out for yourself, for free. If you like it then buy it, if not its cost nothing! The support is second to none, from the guys who program it, so you get to talk to the boss!

VR headsets will become important in future and I am sure voice command software will help solve the problems of not being able to see the key board. I was thinking of the OR myself, but will wait and see what the release version is like.

Regards

David

Dave:

Thanks for the reply.  I have downloaded MCE and have been using it.  It works very well for voice input to the coms and navs.  However, I have not been able to get it to provide voice direct input to the gps, particularly, when trying to input airport icao information in for a specific airport.  I looked through the provided flows and command files and was not able to find gps specific information.  I did find FMC commands, however, that is not what I need in that I am flying GA aircraft and using a standard gps (500, 530, etc.).  Do you by chance have a set of commands or know where I could get a set of commands for a GA gps?

Regards,

Danny

However, I have not been able to get it to provide voice direct input to the gps,

We usually don't bother with that device because it's mainly a hands on affair.

Now of course, using the Rift it could be useful indeed, especially when requests are scripted.

Should be doable. What sort of commands are you looking at?

I would like to be able to control the functions of the gps, such as:

Say: Direct to;; the direct to window opens

Then by voice enter an airport icao:  KOLM, or facility name and city.

Then activate the direct to by saying "activate".

Bascially, control the gps functions by voice command.

Regards,

Danny