Sign in to follow this  
skysurfer

FSX-SE folder

Good day all. 

I know this was discussed before but I am still puzzled. So more I read about it more I get confused.

I have new built PC (W10 pro) and FSX-SE is the first and the only flight sim has ever been installed on this PC, why do I still have two folders in Appdata/Roaming- FSX and FSX-SE? Do I have to have these two folders at the same time or it should be only ONE FSX folder? With FSX-SE folder sitting in my sim everything was actually working fine... till now I should say.
I have read a lot where simmers saying that for clean install FSX-SE folder should not be created. I saw simmers desperately reinstalling FSX hundred times to get rid of that SE folder tweaking registries. 
If FSX-SE folder is not supposed to be created then another question arises. If I install an add-on and it asks if I have FSX version or Steam version, what am I supposed to select then? 

The reason to open this topic was an issues after installing add-on(s) something become disconnected and Ezdok and virtual CDU stopped working. Several people told me that FSX-SE folder may cause issues, bc it was not supposed be created. 

Thx for looking. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

The short answer (I believe in your question) is that the  FSX folder in Appdata/Roaming, a particular sector in Windows, to store certain FSX-SE folders and files - it is completely normal - it also does it this for FS9.  There is no, (or should not be) a registry conflict because of this Windows process.

Notice that the FSX.cfg file is placed in the AppData folder (and nowhere else).  Microsoft set-up the separation of the FSX.cfg file (and other folders such as Saved Flights) from the main FSX for reasons only known to MS developers.    

Interesting. People in Steam forum say they do not have FSX-SE folder.

Thank you.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”