Sign in to follow this  
SolRayz

GTX970 GPU's stuck in P2 state?

I know this has been discussed in other forums over the interwebs, but I cannot find a proper solution. But you may or may not notice that your card will not enter P0 state. The only way to invoke P0 under heavy utilization is to go to device manager, disable your display adapter, then re-enable. Upon restart/reboot, it reverts back to P2. I came across this issue when attempting to overclock my 970 and I could not adjust my memory clock settings and would revert to default upon hitting "apply".

Now is this a Nvidia driver issue? I have attempted several versions, all the way back to 347.88 to the latest. Same issue across the board. Anyone else notice this?

I found a work around HERE

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I know this has been discussed in other forums over the interwebs, but I cannot find a proper solution. But you may or may not notice that your card will not enter P0 state. The only way to invoke P0 under heavy utilization is to go to device manager, disable your display adapter, then re-enable. Upon restart/reboot, it reverts back to P2. I came across this issue when attempting to overclock my 970 and I could not adjust my memory clock settings and would revert to default upon hitting "apply".

Now is this a Nvidia driver issue? I have attempted several versions, all the way back to 347.88 to the latest. Same issue across the board. Anyone else notice this?

I found a work around HERE

Hi Marc, did you run TrackIR, if so did you pick up on Rob's posting re the TrackIR update which fixes the Nvidia problem of reduced power state.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483407-trackir-541-update-fixes-nvidia-gpu-lower-power-state/

bob

• Upvote 1

No I missed that post....thanks for the heads up!!! And in fact I'm running the older version 5.3 so this may very well be the issue. Will report back. Thanks again!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

No I missed that post....thanks for the heads up!!! And in fact I'm running the older version 5.3 so this may very well be the issue. Will report back. Thanks again!

Hope you get it sorted, The only other thing that comes to mind is the same power state issue when running water setting at ultra in P3d, I'm sure this has bee fixed with later driver updates so it shouldn't be a problem now. 

bob

• Upvote 1

Well dang it! Problem solved by updating TrackIR software to the latest. Been banging my head against the wall for days and never would have suspected TrackIR. Again thanks!  :good:  :im Not Worthy:  :clapping:  

I have an NVidia GPU and TrackIR running older S/W. What are the symptoms and/or how do you tell if you have this problem?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Your power state will max out to P2 instead of P0, which is a step down, invariably limiting performance and in my case hampering my ability to adjust memory clock, which is how I discovered I had a problem in the first place. You can verify with Nvidia Inspector which P state your in. Running a benchmark under normal circumstances should invoke P0 state which his high performance mode. 

I have an NVidia GPU and TrackIR running older S/W. What are the symptoms and/or how do you tell if you have this problem?

nvidia Inspector will show the P state on it's opening page.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.