Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

DTG : Fs 64 bit this year - How will LM react ?

Bob,

We will have to wait and see like I said.  I use Train Simulator 2016 often and the locomotive physics are not that bad. Forgot to mention, I worked for Union Pacific for ten years as a Conductor and have also used their train simulators that the Engineers train on and they are not perfect either.  The point I am making is no PC game is going to be exact like the real thing and you are sadly mistaking if you think otherwise.

How do you rate the physics compared to the physics on Run 8? I don't know of any Train simulator train that has MU control for multi diesel operation, while this is the standard in freight railroads and has been for years, and is done very well in Run 8. What I am saying is that the current P3D with a good aircraft like the PMDG 737 is pretty close to the real thing, and I have flown an Airline full motion sim several times to have a basis of comparison.  I can't see DTG coming out with a flight sim with that kind of realism, in such a short time, when that typically is not their focus. What they probably will develop is a really good looking flight sim, loaded with eye candy, and realism and physics will be on the back burner. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On thing that is often over looked is that that a 32-bit platform more or less caps performance related issues.  Moving to 64-bit (which I'm excited about as well) could mean performance degradation for any developer who doesn't optimize their code and also may create overly large software.

Surely this will solve the OOM that so many experience, and that is the larger issue.

Happy Flights Everyone!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

How do you rate the physics compared to the physics on Run 8? I don't know of any Train simulator train that has MU control for multi diesel operation, while this is the standard in freight railroads and has been for years, and is done very well in Run 8. What I am saying is that the current P3D with a good aircraft like the PMDG 737 is pretty close to the real thing, and I have flown an Airline full motion sim several times to have a basis of comparison.  I can't see DTG coming out with a flight sim with that kind of realism, in such a short time, when that typically is not their focus. 

Looks like you're a bit confused. P3D uses basically the same flight model and physics as FSX:SE (currently published by DTG on Steam), and the future DTG Flight Simulator will be basically "just" an evolution of FSX in all aspects, not a simplified flight simulator. It will be opened to 3rd party just as FSX and P3D are.

You're being self-deluded if you think that P3D is the only "serious" flight simulator here. The fact that basically all the "serious" add-ons available for P3D are also available for FSX:SE should give you a hint.

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

The way I see it, if you are serious and want the whole nine yards out of your Flight Sim you might as well stay on the Prepar3D path. If you can live with the simulation end of things being watered down to accommodate gamers (and yes I am talking about the actual DTG Sim not the flight school) you could jump ship to DTG flight Sim when its released. So Prepar3D will continue to be the Flight Sim of choice for the smart discerning crowd and DTG Flight Sim will be for the less sophisticated simmer with "I want to blow something up" tendencies.  For as long as I am into Flight Sim (and to be honest it won't be for much longer at least this time around) I'll be sticking with Prepar3D, not because I am one of the smart discerning crowd but because I aspire to be :-P

Have Laminar Research ever reacted to anything in the rest of the flightsim world?

They don't even really react to their own users asking for features...

...for YEARS (not exaggerating at all)

XPX is completely on the "whatever Austin feels like" time schedule.

• Upvote 1

The way I see it, if you serious and want the whole nine yards out of your Flight Sim you might as well stay on the Prepar3D path. if you can live with the sim end of thing being watered down to accommodate gamers (and yes I am talking about the actual DTG Sim not the flight school) you could jump ship to DTG flight Sim when its released. So Prepar3D will continue to be the Flight Sim of choice for smart discerning crowd and DTG Flight Sim will be for the less sophisticated simmer with I want to blow something up tendencies.  For as long as I am into Flight Sim (and to be honest it won't be for much longer at least this time around) I'll be sticking with Prepar3D, not because I am one of the smart discerning crowd but because I aspire to be :-P

You're being self-deluded as well. :smile: Mark my words: in a matter of months of its release, the majority of flight sim community (including the self proclaimed "serious" simmers) will be on DTG Flight Simulator. I'm ready to place a virtual bet.

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

If I were DTG-  I'd go for the "region pack" model, especially if you're catering to training.

Having a California or Western US type of location that's fully fleshed out as a complete add-on package could be very attractive to the Pilot Edge crowd (as one example).

I think the success will come in offering turn-key/complete solutions for specific things/regions as opposed to just another "here's the whole world - Go purchase your own semi-complete chunks of it" routine that we already have.

The way I see it, if you are serious and want the whole nine yards out of your Flight Sim you might as well stay on the Prepar3D path. If you can live with the simulation end of things being watered down to accommodate gamers (and yes I am talking about the actual DTG Sim not the flight school) you could jump ship to DTG flight Sim when its released. So Prepar3D will continue to be the Flight Sim of choice for the smart discerning crowd and DTG Flight Sim will be for the less sophisticated simmer with "I want to blow something up" tendencies.  For as long as I am into Flight Sim (and to be honest it won't be for much longer at least this time around) I'll be sticking with Prepar3D, not because I am one of the smart discerning crowd but because I aspire to be :-P

You infer, that DTG's simulator will be "watered down" with regards to the "simulation end of things". How do you come to that conclusion? In what way do you expect default DTG FlightSim to be inferior to default P3D (or FSX:SE for that matter)?

More generally speaking: Are "serious simming" and "having fun" really mutual exclusive? Couldn't I jump into a default ac in P3D and fly loopings through Brooklyn Bridge and crazy circles around Eiffel Tower? And would me having fun in P3D really prevent anyone from being serious at simming using the very same software?

Mark my words: in a matter of months of its release, the majority of flight sim community (including the self proclaimed "serious" simmers) will be on DTG Flight Simulator. I'm ready to place a virtual bet.

$1000 ... we can put it in an escrow account :)  ... actually gambling isn't permitted here otherwise I would take you up.  Having gone thru all that is P3D's changes over the years and listening to what prevents people moving to a new platform:

1.  No PMDG

2.  No backwards compatibility with existing FSX/P3D add-ons

3.  Nothing confirmed about the SDK for the DTG Flight product 

4.  There are other 64bit products on the near horizon

5.  Significant user base happy with what they have (be it FSX, P3D, XP10)

6.  Migration from FS9 to FSX took years (and still plenty of FS9 users)

A matter of months?  Definitely not ... you're knocking at the wrong door ... if you want it to succeed, you need an SDK, then you need 3rd party to evaluate the SDK, then you need to hope the differences in SDKs aren't significant.  I'm all for optimism, but I do like to apply some realistic optimism.

Cheers, Rob.

I agree with Rob - I think DTG is much more likely to capture new users that aren't doing really any flight simming at all rather than convert P3D users.

$1000 ... we can put it in an escrow account :)

I'm not so rich... At most the loser can do a $50 donation for AVSIM, just to make it real, so no betting and everyone is happy.  :smile:  Yes, you're right that some months can be a little too early, it could take a year or more, but it will happen sooner rather than later.

I'm looking forward to the DTG Simulator!  Don't really care if all of my P3D add-on's don't work if its a better simulator.  Will have to wait and see....

I think this is the right way of thinking about all of this. Often we wine about the old technology used in today's flight sims not allowing to make full/best possible use of our hardware due to lots of limitations in the old code/core and at the same time we often wine about the risk something new coming out maybe won't allow us to use all our existing addons...

I think if we really want something NEW then we also need to consider the fact we might not be able to keep all our OLD stuff. Now that to me is no rocket science :wink:

Richard Åsberg

You're being self-deluded as well. :smile: Mark my words: in a matter of months of its release, the majority of flight sim community (including the self proclaimed "serious" simmers) will be on DTG Flight Simulator. I'm ready to place a virtual bet.

You are dreaming. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You are dreaming. 

Are you up for the $50 donation to AVSIM as well? :smile:

• Upvote 1

Are you up for the $50 donation to AVSIM as well? :smile:

I donate to Avsim all the time.  :wink: Don't need a bet to do that.