Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Got the Photoshop demo and thinking of buying but have a couple questions.

For a very long time I have used Paint Shop Pro 7 and really like it but today I downloaded the demo version of Photoshop to see if I can get used to it.

First thing I noticed is that I cannot seem to have two or more textures, pictures or graphics on the main window at one time and if I import a texture into PS it opens in a new window - in PSP I always seem to have up to a dozen emblems, color patches, or pics of my project plane at one time and can easily copy/paste or grab a logo or graphic I made and layer it in, resize it, or change layer properties.

So the question is can I have a window full of odds and ends open in PS and can I then easily integrate them into my work?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Warbirds,

I have Photoshop CS3 and can (and do) open whole folders at a time. Have had at least 50-60 images opened at once. Seems a weird thing to limit in a demo version.

Is your effort solely dedicated to working with textures for this hobby? Flight Simulation? If so you may have all you need and more with PS Pro.  I am an avid photographer and made the financial jump to Photoshop about 15 years ago. There were just features and controls and online collaboration available for photography that was just not there for Paint Shop Pro at the time. To be fair here I have not used Paint Shop Pro since.

With  my Photoshop experience and looking at your question about duplicating the feature of what you can have available in the way of elements in one main window, I do not know of a way to do the same in Photoshop other than expanding a Photoshop canvas, separately opening each of those elements you wish to use, and cut or copy and pasting them into that expanded canvas.  Then closing the windows that originally held those elements. But then I have not attempted in Photoshop to accomplish something like that.   If there is a better way then I trust someone else will chime in and help you.

I am on a monthly subscription basis for Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom (it is a combo subscription for photographers) for $9.95/Mo. That is about $119.00 a year and a bargain for what I use it for vs  paying for full upgrades as it includes all updates without additional charge. In all honesty, for photography, I find myself using Lightroom 80/20 over Photoshop at this point, but then the subscription I mentioned is for both and there is no cost break for subscribing to one of the two.

Work with textures is one dimension of Photoshop. Photography is another. There are other dimensions that are there that I would never have use for.  All however are factored into the pricing.  Paint Shop Pro pricing is I believe more friendly for what you express your uses are.

I do graphic and texture work for FSX developers and I have always wanted to try photoshop so now that it is only 10 bucks a month I plan on getting. It has more features than I would ever use but that is what excites me,,,more toys to work with.

I really need some good way to have several images open on the same window to make it fully useful for me.

If you mean having each one open in a separate small window inside the workspace, I think you can undock them from the tab area by dragging them into the workspace, then resize the windows as you see fit. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't verify that but I seem to recall dragging one onto another monitor before.

Google photoshop workspaces and see if you can find your answer. I have yet to find something Photoshop does not do that I want it to. Sometimes you just have to ask. I'm a hard-head self taught Photoshop and Illustrator guy so asking is not in my nature but doing so has made my life easier. I do quite a bit in Illustrator and some of the best tricks I've picked up were by asking.

If you regularly have gobs of files open, look into bridge. It's quite handy as well.