Sign in to follow this  
wvernonc

New Yak -18T in the library

I'm pretty much with you after a days playing with this plane.Some of the time, avionics work and some of the time they don't with the exact same conditions, settings and location. The manual talks about ILS capability among quite a few other things that I assume are absent on the plane.I can start the engine finally. If I go to a default aircraft, then come back to the Yak and go through the procedure someone was kind enough to post above, I can get her started. Once stalled, I can find no way to reset and get her started again.Now engine stalling has become a problem, and getting worse. MP has little response as well, and brakes hold poorly (cannot even check mags). I removed the aircraft and reinstalled thinking maybe I had damaged something, but same old thing with the new installation. MP (although it hardly registers) and RPM have been reduced, and cowl positions have been proper. I see no reset provisions anywhere for an abused or damaged engine anyway (like the Cheyenne for example).I also have a difficult time interpreting the manuals, although they did a pretty good job of identifying everything in the legend.Think it is time to move on, and I will wait to see if someone figures this bird out completely.Happy flying:RTH

Just a short observation. Many times we have been told to start the sim with a default plane first then load your favorite plane. The designers sometimes have to use this procedure to make things work right I guess. Since I started to do this, I have few problems with any addon aircraft. Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought, and you may be right.However, for what it is worth I have been flying MSFSxxx since the 5" floppies and normally start up FS9 (Pre-ordered when it came out) with the Citation X in the Eaglesoft Hanger at my home airport (KLWB). I seldom even look at a default aircraft and have so done for years going back through several MSFS versions. I have never had any problem with any other plane or anything else regarding this issue thus have regarded it as bogus. I can startup FS9 normally with the Citation X (or it looks like any other aircraft), switch to the Yak and start it with no problem.I can shutdown the Yak engine, switch to any other third party aircraft I have tried at random, back to the Yak and start her with no problem. I cannot detect that it makes any difference whether it is a default or third party aircraft used to reset the solution or used for FS9 startup.Even if I startup FS9 with the MSFS9 default plane/location and then switch to the Yak and never reference a third party aircraft, if I shutdown the Yak engine (or it shuts down itself), I cannot find any way to restart it without cycling through another aircraft, including third party choices.Thank you kindly for the help.Respectfully:RTH1585368CFI

Hummmm....... I just hit the start button then the pneumatics knob and it starts right up. Interesting plane.

I agree that it is an interesting plane. If I ever get her figured out, probably will add a few things and be happy to have it. My complements to the designers and I certainly intend no bashing of their kind contribution in any way.Thought maybe you had something. I believe you are reversed on prior advice which said to open the pneumatics knob AND THEN hit the start button rather than to "hit the start button then the pneumatics knob", so I tried it your way.Much to my surprise, after shutting the engine down, the prob turned when I hit the start button. (This never worked for me before without cycling to another aircraft and back to the Yak again and I really don't know why it worked this time).I proceeded to shut the engine down three times, and was successful in restarting twice. On the third try, the prop would no longer turn over when I hit the start button no matter what I tried and I was back to go. (I do have extended battery checked in fsuipc options).Seems that everything may be somewhat intermittent, or I just have a short between the ears. I still wonder if all of this is realative to the implied maitenance wear in the writeup, but have no idea what resets it. I would not think that simply restarting three times would be a problem with those provisions, but who knows?Thanks for the reply:RTH

Guest George Tu-144

Sorry for delay with answer.Let's see Yak logics. It uses pneumatic pressure for engine start, so you have to open pneumatic knob first and hit Starter button after that. Pneumatics constantly recharge when engine works. But if we open pneumatic knob and do not start engine or start it for a very short time, pneumatics will not recharge or recharge too little. So after some attempts to start engine, which eat our pressure, we'll get no pressure in system and no chance to start engine. Unless you'll use emergency pneumatic system. It isn't rechargeble, but offers you amount of pressure for engine start. In reality it must be used if you got no pressure in main system in flight and want to lower gear for landing. But you can use it for engine start as well.So you must always see pneumatic pressure indicator and refer your actions to its indications.There's no need to extend battery life through FSUIPC. We wrote in aircraft.cfg that our battery got infinite current and modelled our custom electrical system, which perfectly counts currents dependant of load.

>Sorry for delay with answer.G'day GeorgeI still haven't tried our your a/c -- but it looks like you have made it very realistic. It seems, much more realistic than we are accustomed to -- most (or all) of the GA Fsim a/c do not have realistic systems at all. You can do anything to their engines and other equipment and you can't break them. It seems that your new a/c is the way of the future - if we all want the sim to be "as real as it gets".Congratulations.Barry

Guest ha5mvo

Hi George,No matter what I try I still can't overcome the start up problem without first loading the cessna with avionics on and mixture in.with any other setup the avionics won't work (indication - GPS is dark) any idea?//Michael

Guest George Tu-144

Michael, I don't know, what to say...We uploaded to www.avsim.com library paint kit for Yakovlev Yak-18T model few minutes ago. File name Yakovlev_Yak-18T_PaintKit.zip

Guest allcott

George, while you're here!Anyone else have the problem with the aircraft shadow partially disappearing into the tarmac or the ground? Only noticed it yesterday, shows you how much I've been enjoying it!Allcott

Thanks for the kind reply George:I confess, patience is not one of my good points and I will try to hang in there.RTH

Question George,If I run out of air trying to start this thing, is there a way to recharge the system manually? I really like this plane and am trying to master everything. However I really would like to fly it without all of the engine stoppages, etc. How long before version 1.1 can be released for us more simple minded folks? Thanks again. Vernon

I took the liberty for my on personal use of swapping out a few gauges for this dumb Yank that has trouble figuring out what I am seeing on the default panel, and think I just about have a handle on this fine aircraft now.My trouble with the Pneumatic pressure which possibly someone else also might run into is that almost any change you make turns it off. (i.e. going to another aircraft and switching back etc.etc.). Anything you do that seems drastic at all, recheck the air pressure.Also, with a low idle for a few mins. where the generator light comes on, I have found that I loose avionics. A little higher idle seems to cure that. (Even with extended battery checked)I do have one question:Under the toolbar for Aircrart>Select Aircraft>Performance Specifications a range of 1500 KM/810 NM (which does not calculate too accurately) is specified. In the Yak-18T_F;ogjt_Manual on page 16, item 7 under Level Flight, flight time is specified as 40-45 mins. with full fuel capacity. This would only have a range of less than 200 NM. What is the correct range for the aircraft?Thanks:RTH