Sign in to follow this  
gad11

No LOC or G/S issue

Hey all.

Loving the 777. Fantastic plane. Everything has been going great but last few flights I have had an issue. Despite having an ILS runway in my FMC and tuned to right frequency, when I arm the LOC or G/S there no signal. I am getting the proper DME reading however so there is a signal there. The buttons light up when pressed. This is a recent issue as it has always worked before. Both times have been at airports with ILS (OMDB and LFPG). 

The difference between these 2 flights and my other flights are a different panel start state. I always flew with the default panel state where the engines are running. I recently joined a VA however that requires I activate the ACARS software before engine start so I have been using the 'Short' panel state for that. My only guess is there is something I am maybe missing to switch or turn on that is automatically turned on in the default state. 

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Loving the 777. Fantastic plane. Everything has been going great but last few flights I have had an issue. Despite having an ILS runway in my FMC and tuned to right frequency, when I arm the LOC or G/S there no signal. I am getting the proper DME reading however so there is a signal there. The buttons light up when pressed. This is a recent issue as it has always worked before. Both times have been at airports with ILS (OMDB and LFPG). 

Do you have add-on scenery for these airports? If not, the frequencies may be out of date compared to the nav data the 777 is using.

Thanks for your time!

Side question...is your avatar Alan Watts?

Kyle Rodgers

Despite having an ILS runway in my FMC and tuned to right frequency, when I arm the LOC or G/S there no signal.

Normally, the ILS is auto-tuned by the FMC based on approach selected and you cannot arm LOC or APP until there are signals. Have you flown the Tutorials?

Dan Downs KCRP

Do you have add-on scenery for these airports? If not, the frequencies may be out of date compared to the nav data the 777 is using.

Side question...is your avatar Alan Watts?

For these airports just the default P3D scenery. 

That is Alan Watts. :D

Normally, the ILS is auto-tuned by the FMC based on approach selected and you cannot arm LOC or APP until there are signals. Have you flown the Tutorials?

Yes sir. Flown the tutorials. That's how I know Dubai ILS is correct as I have landed on this runway before. I can arm both and they are white on the main screen. But there is no indication that they are there on the vertical and horizontal indicators (sorry about bad terminology). I usually wait until I see the little diamonds before arming but I was at 14 DME and thought it odd I haven't seen any 'diamonds' yet. Usually the G/S diamond shows at 20 DME. So I armed LOC and it stayed white and then tried the APP button and it of course stayed white. Before these last 2 flights the LOC diamond appears way before 20 DME.

I recently joined a VA however that requires I activate the ACARS software before engine start so I have been using the 'Short' panel state for that. My only guess is there is something I am maybe missing to switch or turn on that is automatically turned on in the default state. 

Next time you're in the sim, check the NAV RAD page and see if there's anything in the ILS section.

That is Alan Watts. :D

Nice! I happened upon him a while ago because someone had sampled his talk on 'nothingness' in a song. A lot of the talks are a little far out there, but interesting nonetheless.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes sir. Flown the tutorials. That's how I know Dubai ILS is correct as I have landed on this runway before. I can arm both and they are white on the main screen. But there is no indication that they are there on the vertical and horizontal indicators (sorry about bad terminology). I usually wait until I see the little diamonds before arming but I was at 14 DME and thought it odd I haven't seen any 'diamonds' yet. Usually the G/S diamond shows at 20 DME. So I armed LOC and it stayed white and then tried the APP button and it of course stayed white. Before these last 2 flights the LOC diamond appears way before 20 DME.

Kyle has a point, most problems with ILS reception is due to outdated data in the default scenery. Easy check is to open the simulator's map (you didn't mention FSX or P3D) and drill down to the ILS frequencies and compare to either current charts or FMC data.  The you are close enough to be correct by calling them vertical and horizontal indicators, although you sometimes see course deviation the easiest terminology is LOC or GS indicator.  At 20 nm you are at the extent of the FSX ILS coverage (I think it only goes to 26 nm) and the GS should be found at 6364ft AGL given a 3 deg slope (318 ft/nm).  You need to be on or near the LOC beam within a few degrees (3 to 5 deg I can't remember) to receive the GS beam. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Kyle has a point, most problems with ILS reception is due to outdated data in the default scenery. Easy check is to open the simulator's map (you didn't mention FSX or P3D) and drill down to the ILS frequencies and compare to either current charts or FMC data.  The you are close enough to be correct by calling them vertical and horizontal indicators, although you sometimes see course deviation the easiest terminology is LOC or GS indicator.  At 20 nm you are at the extent of the FSX ILS coverage (I think it only goes to 26 nm) and the GS should be found at 6364ft AGL given a 3 deg slope (318 ft/nm).  You need to be on or near the LOC beam within a few degrees (3 to 5 deg I can't remember) to receive the GS beam. 

Thanks again for your help Dan.

It must be outdated data. Seems to be conflicting data on the ILS. I have another long haul later today and will try again. I can't remember right but I think the chart I had and P3D had Dubai runway 12R as 109.50 but that seems to be for 30R. That would make sense if there was no ILS info but DME was good.

Thanks again! :D