Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Boeing OPT

Our pilot's have been using it (iPad OPT) for a while now, as has practically every other airline around the world.

OPT can be loaded onto any EFB (toughbook, iPad, aircraft mounted EFB). 

It really isn't amazing stuff, from a simming perspective. You'd really only use it for v speed calculation, not much more than that. The inbuilt NGx FMC computation more than adequately handles this.

From a airline perspective, I guess it's a huge leap in efficiency. Although it costs lots of $, I would say the spend is worth it... improved safety, so long as good data is entered.

What we simmers need is an OPT-like app for both iPad and Desktop. TOPCAT is an effective OPT - So all we need is an iPad version. A TOPCAT OPT to go with Navigraph's iPad Lido chart's would meet a simmer's needs easily.

• Upvote 2

Brian Nellis

Correct yes, but i should say for ME. TOPCAT does use similar feautres but nothing like that app, that app shows you the airfield and runway and predicts your LDR for situational awareness. its little thibgs like that. AND also you can use the fuel part and W&B unlike TOPCAT

TOPCAT calculates landing distances too, not graphically of course but clearly nevertheless. TOPCAT has fuel and weight & balance calculations too.

I understand your desire to use what real pilots use but the data for this app is not available to you so there isn't much point wishing for it. Maybe someone will eventually produce an app that has sim data and an interface that looks like this.

ki9cAAb.jpg

understand your desire to use what real pilots use but the data for this app is not available to you so there isn't much point wishing for it. Maybe someone will eventually produce an app that has sim data and an interface that looks like this.

It would be great if someone picks this up and replaces TOPCAT. Be great to have something new like that Boeing OPT i'm sure every single person out there would buy it.

Only can dream :)

Vernon Howells

You're welcome to dream, Vernon. In the meantime TOPCAT does a good enough job for practical purposes at a very reasonable price, considering it covers a number of airframes.

• Upvote 2

ki9cAAb.jpg

Correct yes, but i should say for ME. TOPCAT does use similar feautres but nothing like that app, that app shows you the airfield and runway and predicts your LDR for situational awareness. its little thibgs like that. AND also you can use the fuel part and W&B unlike TOPCAT

Unfortunately, until a sim actually simulates realistic ground friction and true aircraft ground run performance, the runway performance data will be useless.

I don't see anything about fuel. What "fuel part" are you writing about? I see a tab for Weight and Balance but no detail. How is it different from TOPCAT?

There is a fuel box under the weight and balance section that calculates fuel into the weight and balance calculation.

This app is actually free, Boeing just charges you for the service. We send them our updated basic weight data and they combine this with airport analysis. This app is driven by the individual specific configuration of your aircraft. VSPEEDs would be good, but everything else is aircraft specific.

Unfortunately, until a sim actually simulates realistic ground friction and true aircraft ground run performance, the runway performance data will be useless.

Very true suppose its all pretty useless then. A RYR pilot that i speak to says the braking on the real 737 800 is nothing like PMDG, its alot harder to slow down after landing. Its not PMDG's fault but the sim code FSX/P3D its all the same.

Vernon Howells

This one also cool 

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/boeing-interactive-quick-reference/id539735126?mt=8

But same again subscription specific.

Agree a PFPX/Topcat iPad conversion would be nice, in a similar format, but equally as others have said some of the data is just for fun as actual effect in sim is nill due to FSX/P3D coding.

Although be interesting with PMDG links to Boeing if they could suggest to Boeing a possible revenue source would be a subscription service to a lite version of their apps, with the source material hosted by PMDG for the sim world. That way it wouldnt be giving away the costly update data, as obviously the PMDG sim doesn't change! Airport data could be navigraph.

My friend is a FO with BA, and the amount of clever apps they have on their company iPads is outstanding, with all sorts of capability they can do from rostering to ordering fuel!