Sign in to follow this  
Guest McFly

Ever seen this before?

That was the F22's competition (YF-23 or something like that) offered up by Lockheed. The F22 won the contract and this plane went by way of the boneyard (or museum)... Being that this was an Airforce contract, I couldn't imagine why the NAVY would test it at sea...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Last I knew, the F-22 and it's competitor were fighting for the Joint Strike Fighter position. So they had to be usable by all branches of the military. The F-22 is supposed to be picked up by the Air Force, the Navy, and the Marines within a few years and make all the other miltary aircraft obsoleted. From what I've heard they're trying to get a universal plane so they don't have to carry so many parts and train for so many different aircraft. That's just the information I have read and heard over the years about the F-22. I do know they've made a carrier version and a VTOL version of it.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

No... :-eek That's the JSF program. You got the name right but not the jet. The F22 is in a whole different class. The F22 and it's competition was designed to replace the F15. Only the Airforce will fly the F-22.... :-cool

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Plane_Spotter

What the heck is that? Where did you find that photo? I have never seen or heard of anything like that. No it's not the F-22's competion, that was Northrop's F-23 which did not have curves like that nor did it have extending/retracting wings like this one... Perhaps this is an edit or a hollywood mock-up?

Guest Plane_Spotter

>No... :-eek That's the JSF program. You got the name right>but not the jet. The F22 is in a whole different class. The>F22 and it's competition was designed to replace the F15. >Only the Airforce will fly the F-22.... :-cool If thats the JSF program than who designed it? Certainly not Boeing or Lockeed Martin.

From magazine articles I've read and shows I've watched on the Discovery Wings channel, I was lead to believe that the F-22 is supposed to become an all around mulit-branch fighter and that there were several different variations being made to fit those branches needs. I believe it was an article in Popular Science that was talking about it replacing most of the aircraft the US military is using.----------------------------------------------------------------John S. MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private 130+ hrs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Leonardo

That is no JSF or ADF prototype. It's a fake, and an ugly one. :-)1) No 360

Guest P3_Super_Bee

ROFLMAO... That's a movie prop.LOCKHEED-MARTIN F-22... Actually can be called a JSF(for manufacturers) IIRC Lockheed does the nose, center section, and the tactical systems, Boeing does the wings and aft fuselage...http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-22...f-0000l-001.jpgNorthrop / McDonnell Douglas(Boeing) YF-23...http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/yf-23-desert.jpgJSF or as its named now Lockheed-Martin F-35...http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/jsf96_5091.jpg

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Guest vuelo

By the look of the gear, it looks like a nice hoax paintshopped on top of an F14 body..which in any case would be a more suitable... ac to be on a carrierBrianAMD64 3200 - MSI K8N Neo Platinum NForce3 - ASUS RADEON 9800XT - SB AUDIGY 2 - 1GB CORSAIR XMS - RUNNING XP PRO ON A 320GB BUNCH OF SATA DRIVES

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Forgot to add...The F-22 as stated abouve is Air Force replacement of the F-15. The F-35 is the Air Force replacement for the F-16, The Navy will use it with the F/A-18E/F, the Marine Corps will be relplacing the F/A-18 and AV-8B with it.Air Force basicly will have the base model.Naval version has larger wing and tail control surfaces, Leading edge flaps and foldable wing tip sections to account for increased wing area. Larger wing also means larger payload. Will also have stronger landing gear, and the gear will have a longer stroke.The Marine Corps version will have STOVL(Short Takeoff/Vertical Landing) capability, and will not have an internal gun as the Air Force and Naval version.The Royal Navy and Air Force will pretty much have the Marine Corps version.

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

People...I am gonna say this only for once...It's a movie prop!Within a year you all will see that ACFT on the big screen.If you guys search the net you will find that pic of the movie I am talking about.Pilot_76.PS: No, it's not Firefox II.

Guest Sabadin

That first pic is a scene from an upcoming movie called "Stealth" IIRC.