Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

Weather Adjustment in P3dv3 - Questions

Hello All --- well, have surfed around and not found much info on weather adjustment in P3D.

Am a newbie with P3D and it is just great. One of the more common issues I have run into is adjustment of weather mainly while in a flight. Wondering if this is just not meant to be or if there is a "magic sequence" that we are supposed to use? Seems OK when starting a flight (aircraft on ground) but unlike FSX, in flight weather adjustment is difficult. Mainly with cloud layers. I get lots of error indications but it does not say what is exactly causing the errors.

Any help, comments, etc. much appreciated.

THANKS!!!

IMHO, the best "weaher adjuster" is ASN.  In addition to real weather, you can manually set your layers, if that is what you wish.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hello All --- well, have surfed around and not found much info on weather adjustment in P3D.

Am a newbie with P3D and it is just great. One of the more common issues I have run into is adjustment of weather mainly while in a flight. Wondering if this is just not meant to be or if there is a "magic sequence" that we are supposed to use? Seems OK when starting a flight (aircraft on ground) but unlike FSX, in flight weather adjustment is difficult. Mainly with cloud layers. I get lots of error indications but it does not say what is exactly causing the errors.

Any help, comments, etc. much appreciated.

THANKS!!!

If I am correct I think you are asking if you change the weather theme while in flight to something else this will cause issues with your aircraft - I recommend you never doing that or your flight will be messed up and have to start over - pick exactly the weather scenario in the beginning to avoid any issues - as for ASN you would not be changing the weather as it would be real time so will be fine unless you decide to shut it off

Rich Sennett

Hello Rich (and all) --- my question applies to using the drop-down menu IN FLIGHT to access the 'user defined weather' function in P3D. I was trying to find out if there indeed is a restriction on using this function DURING A FLIGHT. This is where I get the 'go back and fix the error' window most of the time...and it does not point out what you did to make an error. And it does not say you cannot access this function DURING a flight. This is where I am confused --- but doing it all at the start of a flight seems to work well.

Although it should make no difference, I use REX for my texture themes. But REX is not active during my flights...only when wanting to change textures. So anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will continue to experiment with the weather settings in hopes of coming up with some 'rules of the road' regarding where to set these parameters.

Cheers!!!  :smile:

Hello Rich (and all) --- my question applies to using the drop-down menu IN FLIGHT to access the 'user defined weather' function in P3D. I was trying to find out if there indeed is a restriction on using this function DURING A FLIGHT. This is where I get the 'go back and fix the error' window most of the time...and it does not point out what you did to make an error. And it does not say you cannot access this function DURING a flight. This is where I am confused --- but doing it all at the start of a flight seems to work well.

Although it should make no difference, I use REX for my texture themes. But REX is not active during my flights...only when wanting to change textures. So anyway, thanks for the feedback. I will continue to experiment with the weather settings in hopes of coming up with some 'rules of the road' regarding where to set these parameters.

Cheers!!!  :smile:

Theres no restriction at all - I do it all the time but if you have started a flight and your aircraft is in auto pilot mode and following a flight plan it can mess things up so I dont make weather changes for this reason other than that you can do what you want - hope I am understanding your question 

Rich Sennett

Well I finally got some "practice" and now the weather adjustment is working pretty well after learning the sensitivities. Overall, I am quite pleased with P3D and the upsides it brings to us. Much more to learn for sure -- quite fun!!  :smile:

This is where I get the 'go back and fix the error' window most of the time...and it does not point out what you did to make an error.

Aaaaaaaah, I've had this too in the past! It's too long ago to remember what it was exactly but I do remember I had to go to the advanced weather settings and there you would see what was wrong: something with the wind or temp/pressure... I searched for it but couldn't find my own posts about it unfortunately, but again, if you get the error, go to the advanced options and take a look at all tabs and there you should see something in red... if I remember well. The error message was indeed not exactly helpful and it took me quite some time before I found out what was wrong.

EDIT

Found it! Let me quote Novation: "There normally seems to be a conflict in the 'wind' tab with the gust strength being lower than the mean speed. " and myself: "There was indeed an error with gust winds which were the same as normal wind but needed to be higher. After changing the gust wind, I could save the changes."

Here is the topic (which wasn't as old as I thought... it's ME who is getting old!  :wink: )

http://www.avsim.com/topic/435527-cant-edit-weather-can-you/