Sign in to follow this  
Rythegreat

Problem With IFR Landings

This has happened multiple times. I do load fs plan at the beginning of the flight... flight goes fine... then when I get close ATC tells me to descend. So I do... then I get approach vectors... then I accept.. then thats it. No more instructions for that flight. The only instructions I get is to change towers when I get out of range... so I get no landing instructions. I just pass over the airport. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. I end up giving up on a 3hr+ flight. Its happened at least 10 times.

Don't tell me to get a 3rd party atc program. I don't have the money to spend.

Also this happens with all my planes. Addon and default.

Are you sure you're flying IFR with FSX ATC (not somehow ended up on a VFR service)? I'm not going to tell you to get a third party programme, but I would suggest abandoning FSX ATC altogether and vectoring yourself. FSX ATC not at all realistic, e.g. it knows nothing of SIDs or STARs, preferential runways etc etc etc.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Are you sure you're flying IFR with FSX ATC (not somehow ended up on a VFR service)? I'm not going to tell you to get a third party programme, but I would suggest abandoning FSX ATC altogether and vectoring yourself. FSX ATC not at all realistic, e.g. it knows nothing of SIDs or STARs, preferential runways etc etc etc.

Yeah I know it isn't realistic. But its easier for me since I rarely pay attention to the flight other than checking gauges and doing atc stuff. I usually watch youtube or netflix on my phone. But no I don't get vfr since I still have the ifr choices. Like changing runway and selecting a new ifr flightplan. Also... I haven't learned fmc's 100%... I know how to set it up and stuff but not anything more advanced. I mainly use FSC for flightplanning. I'll probably try vectoring later. After I sleep. Its past 5AM. The main reason I use IFR landings is because I'm a terrible visual lander. I like using autoland. Even if real life pilot rarely use it.

Thanks for the reply though.

• Upvote 1

I'm confused. You mean ATC just stops giving instructions? Or do you get "cleared to ILS runway...." And "cleared visual approach to runway...." with a handoff to tower?

If it's ILS then default ATC just expects you to have the ILS tuned in to capture the localizer. If it's visual then ATC expects you to simply land. Default ATC does a poor job telling you where to go. It provides interaction on some level but isn't that great.

You are almost better off flying as if it's uncontrolled airspace and navigating soley on your own.

Yeah I know it isn't realistic. But its easier for me since I rarely pay attention to the flight other than checking gauges and doing atc stuff. I usually watch youtube or netflix on my phone. But no I don't get vfr since I still have the ifr choices. Like changing runway and selecting a new ifr flightplan. Also... I haven't learned fmc's 100%... I know how to set it up and stuff but not anything more advanced. I mainly use FSC for flightplanning. I'll probably try vectoring later. After I sleep. Its past 5AM. The main reason I use IFR landings is because I'm a terrible visual lander. I like using autoland. Even if real life pilot rarely use it.

Thanks for the reply though.

That's the challenge though - learning to navigate and land manually. I'm at a loss as to how anyone could enjoy simulation that's all automated.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I'm confused. You mean ATC just stops giving instructions? Or do you get "cleared to ILS runway...." And "cleared visual approach to runway...." with a handoff to tower?

If it's ILS then default ATC just expects you to have the ILS tuned in to capture the localizer. If it's visual then ATC expects you to simply land. Default ATC does a poor job telling you where to go. It provides interaction on some level but isn't that great.

You are almost better off flying as if it's uncontrolled airspace and navigating soley on your own.

First. When it works it tells you to change to the tower after you descend and began Ils. That never happens. Nothing else comes after it tells you your 63 miles out yadda yadda yadda. It doesn't do it every single time. Also I used to fly without it. But as I said I rarely pay attention. So I end up missing the airport. I just get slightly bored sitting there.

That's the challenge though - learning to navigate and land manually. I'm at a loss as to how anyone could enjoy simulation that's all automated.

Yeah. I don't do it automated every time. It is more fun manually. But me being a bad lander is an understatement. Sometimes I don't realize how close I am so I end up doing a nose dive. Or I land on the taxiway. Also. I use planes with cabins and I find it fun to watch the landing from the cabin. Of course I've flown planes without full autoland like the captain sim 707. Did a flight from New York to London. So I had to land that basically manually. Well the final anyway. Those are more fun. Got way off topic. But you are rights. But atc drives me way off course so it's annoying to do that.

I've been doing it so long I don't recall learning to land in the sim. What I do remember is that using a joystick was painful and terrible. Once I got a yoke and pedals it was night and day. So much easier.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

First. When it works it tells you to change to the tower after you descend and began Ils. That never happens. Nothing else comes after it tells you your 63 miles out yadda yadda yadda. It doesn't do it every single time. Also I used to fly without it. But as I said I rarely pay attention. So I end up missing the airport. I just get slightly bored sitting there.

Yeah. I don't do it automated every time. It is more fun manually. But me being a bad lander is an understatement. Sometimes I don't realize how close I am so I end up doing a nose dive. Or I land on the taxiway. Also. I use planes with cabins and I find it fun to watch the landing from the cabin. Of course I've flown planes without full autoland like the captain sim 707. Did a flight from New York to London. So I had to land that basically manually. Well the final anyway. Those are more fun. Got way off topic. But you are rights. But atc drives me way off course so it's annoying to do that.

Bad lander...how long have you been flying?  Patience, my friend.  This is a simulator and if you are committed to learning to fly, it will take time. When I first started out, I was like you.  I had dreams of flying the heavies, without an ounce of experience.  After several failures, I stayed comitted and look into reading up on more.  Right now, I am still not perfect, but I have a greater understanding of flying, more specifically, how to set up a flight complete with SIDs and STARs.  I never use ATC in the sim as Chris had pointed out, it's not that great.  I use a weather program for my flights so I get correct BARO and winds and I also use charts.  This hobby is greater than just taking off, and then sitting around watching TV until you have to land.  As a pilot, you have a responsibility to the aircraft and the people you are carrying.  I know it's all virtual and it's a simulation, but it's a simulation of real life.

I've been receiving some excellent advice from the folks here, so if you are committed to learning, I would take that advice and use it.  Maybe, while you are on Youtube during cruise, you can look up some videos on planning and approaches so you don't wind up doing nosedives anymore. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

"I mainly use FSC for flightplanning."

As a test, try setting your flight plans via the Default one and do a series of flights.   It may be that Default ATC may not be fully utilizing the data from FSC, or at least, occurring intermittently.

Chris

Hi,

I've had the same thing happen to me - but only when flying the Blackbox Airbus series aircraft - and only after loading a previously created flightplan into the MCDU, using the "company route" saved folder.   After searching for an answer, I found a comment from BBS stating that the problem centered around some flight plan generators not ending the flightplan properly - the solution was to manually enter the flightplan into the MCDU and then ensuring that you closed off the file properly - but I still have the problem at least 50 % of the time.  Again - only time I've seen the default ATC "forget about me" was using the BBS Airbuses...  Any chance you're flying Blackbox Airbuses ?

Mark

Bad lander...how long have you been flying?  Patience, my friend.  This is a simulator and if you are committed to learning to fly, it will take time. When I first started out, I was like you.  I had dreams of flying the heavies, without an ounce of experience.  After several failures, I stayed comitted and look into reading up on more.  Right now, I am still not perfect, but I have a greater understanding of flying, more specifically, how to set up a flight complete with SIDs and STARs.  I never use ATC in the sim as Chris had pointed out, it's not that great.  I use a weather program for my flights so I get correct BARO and winds and I also use charts.  This hobby is greater than just taking off, and then sitting around watching TV until you have to land.  As a pilot, you have a responsibility to the aircraft and the people you are carrying.  I know it's all virtual and it's a simulation, but it's a simulation of real life.

I've been receiving some excellent advice from the folks here, so if you are committed to learning, I would take that advice and use it.  Maybe, while you are on Youtube during cruise, you can look up some videos on planning and approaches so you don't wind up doing nosedives anymore. :)

To be honest... the last time I did an entire visual approach was a while ago. ILS makes it easier. I usually just let it line up then land it manually. Works better that way. I landed the 707 fine. But thats a good idea about watching videos on that. Also... I've played fsx off and on since it was released. At first I had no idea what I was doing. Anyway. I only learned ils like 3 months ago lol. But I'll try a flight tomorrow or tonight.

On a side note. Is radar contact any good? I kinda wanna try it and I suppose I could buy it. I heard good things about it. Also... I've been debated on becoming a pilot. And of course I know that you have that responsibility. Did a flight on a friends computer with FSP. That was interesting. 

"I mainly use FSC for flightplanning."

As a test, try setting your flight plans via the Default one and do a series of flights.   It may be that Default ATC may not be fully utilizing the data from FSC, or at least, occurring intermittently.

Chris

I've actually tried that. Same deal. I use FSC since you can input real routes and such.

Hi,

I've had the same thing happen to me - but only when flying the Blackbox Airbus series aircraft - and only after loading a previously created flightplan into the MCDU, using the "company route" saved folder.   After searching for an answer, I found a comment from BBS stating that the problem centered around some flight plan generators not ending the flightplan properly - the solution was to manually enter the flightplan into the MCDU and then ensuring that you closed off the file properly - but I still have the problem at least 50 % of the time.  Again - only time I've seen the default ATC "forget about me" was using the BBS Airbuses...  Any chance you're flying Blackbox Airbuses ?

Mark

You may be on to something. The only time I really have it is on wilco airbuses. I know wilco aren't designed the best. I just like the airbus series. Feelthere planes do it occasionally. I'll do a test flight with a captain sim plane and see what happens. Those are my favorite.

Don't know why that never occurred to me.