Sign in to follow this  
epopchock

Using Edimensional FSX Backup

Hey, guys,

Hope you can provide me some assistance.  Recently, my desktop computer (the one on which I play Flight Simulator X) malfunctioned, and I just got a new computer yesterday.  Although I had backed up all my flight simulator addons in advance, using this payware program called Edimensional FSX Backup, I am unable to get the "Restore" feature of my FSX Backup tool to work properly with reinstalling my addons.  I have no idea what I am doing wrong.  I would like to know if my flight simulator should be installed on my computer for this to work.  The other thing that I may be thinking is that maybe the computer doesn't recognize the registry entries from my old device, and if that's the case, maybe I will just have to copy everything manually and redo my backup later.  If you guys have any suggestions or helpful advice, let me know.

Evan :smile:

I have a feeling you have to "restore" on the same computer as you used to backup.  Otherwise, it would be simple for one to backup their fsx and send the disk to everyone they know who could restore it on their system.  Just thinking out loud.  The description states you can switch computers though.  Maybe if you went to FlightOne.  They have a utility in their Library that fixes the registry. 

There are several "hidden" folders too that belonged to a certain user.  So, on the new install of Windows, you should use the same username you had when you backed up your FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've never used the program but it appears that it only does a backup for the installed add-ons, not the entire FSX installation. If that's the case FSX has to be installed prior to running a recovery.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.