Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

Retired C-130 FE input concerning CS C-130

I do not have the C-130, but I may have a solution for your "blurry" texture problem. Make sure you cycle thru all views before going to spot view. This allows your video card to properly cache the bitmaps, and they will then display in ultra-clarity!Regards,Owen

Guest B1900 Mech

How do the frame rates in Virtual Cockpit compare to LDS 767,PMDG 747?

Guest JIMJAM

Hey Owen! Jim Franklin over in Columbia here. Yeah I know some other games I have run alot better if you cycle the views and get the textures stored. I moved up to 2 gigs of ram but the difference betreen one or two are hardly noticable. I now run Riva tuner for my 6800gt and run negative bitmap bias. Got rid of the blurries and that overall washed out look. At any rate, Good Hearing from ya.

Even I managed to start it from cold and dark, only glancing at the procedure once (too lazy to read the manuals through). Just remember the wing isolation valves, some say they're in the wrong default position when guarded. Also remember to reset the ATM generator, watch the meter to tell when it delivers power, and switch the bus tie (bottom og the panel) to get ac power from ATM. Other than that, you just have to figure out how to supply enough electric power and air pressure before start, just like in other big birds :-coolEagle

>>A friend of mine fly's a 767 on his PC using a joystick, hits>ctrl E to start it, slews to the active, etc.. etc..>Everytime I see him fly, I wonder why he didn't just buy a>playstation 2. >I did much of my flight training, as well as completion at a Class B airport. Didn't enjoy long taxi's and waiting then, and don't now.But........ as already mentioned by others, I do sometimes go through the motions to really get in to it. Will even do a muliple leg flight over several nights by saving the flight at the ramp. As to joysticks, why not? Aerobatic pilots know that yokes with chains, cogs, pully's, and cables are not as tight as a joystick with push/pull tubes connected with ball bearing linkages. I seriously do prefer joystick airplanes, unless it's something you have to manhandle like an old Boeing! :D L.Adamson

>Hi Larry,>>I'm the same- I wonder if this "trait" applies to all r/l>pilots? Maybe it's just the 30 minutes that getting ready for>flight (maybe more if an IFR clearance is involved) imposes>always in the real world, and we don't want to have to do it>on the sim.??>Probably more than not. And besides, I often sit in the RV cockpit out in the garage, buckle up the four point harness & go through all the startup, takeoff, cruise, landing, emergency, and shutdown procedures to know them by heart. Probably why I don't do the same much in the sim.L.Adamson

Guest Moosenoodles

F.A.O Akflyin,Hey there, I was wondering do you have access to complete details regarding performances and first hour fuel burns and subsequent hrs after that for the herc.. Im wanting to make a profile and need quite a bit of data.. If I was to post what was required could you be so kind to fill out or list what you can be sure of for me so i can eliminate some of data required?Hope you can help.Thanks in advance..

Guest Akflyin

Hello Sir,Be glad to help. Just let me know what you are looking for :0)Fly safe

Guest Moosenoodles

well hehe, I wonder if you realise what you have let urself in for :)I will try to do my best to ask what i need,, some of it its difficult to explain due to it being CG stuff but hey we will give it a shot.. Ill draw up the first few required data details, (looked on net but still hard to find the right stuff for the right model)and we will go from there :)... brb with a post...cheers,James

Guest Moosenoodles

Ok see if you can get these first heheh :( Make:-Lockheed Model:-C130-EMax Fuel Capacity:- =Taxi fuel (gal, fuel consumed during a normal taxi) =Takeoff fuel (fuel consumed during a normal takeoff) =------------------------------------------------------------------First hour fuel burn(gal) =Subsequent fuel burn per hour after initial first hour(gal) =Certified Ceiling (ft) = --------------------------------------------------------------------Time between overhall hours (TBO) =Number of hours between annuals =not sure about this one..... General list of expenses associated with the aircraft and rough prices$ etc..--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rate of climb (ft/min) at sea level =Rate of climb (ft/min) at Service ceiling =Indicated climb speed (kts) (during climb) =Sea level climb fuel rate (lbs/hr)~(fuel consumption during a climb at sea level) =Service ceiling climb fuel rate (lbs/hr)~(fuel consumption during a climb at the ceiling) =Service Ceiling (ft) =Rate of descent (ft/min)~(descent rate) =Indicated descent speed (kts)~(indicated airspeed during descent) =Descent fuel flow (gal/hr)~(default fuel flow during a descent) =-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------There is a few more steps to come lol crazy stuff its advanced deatils see im needing :) If you cant manage all of them just what you can would be fine... Or if anyone else wants to give some gen that be good too..Cheers,James..

Guest Akflyin

Ok Got The info.Will take abit of time but will do what I canfly safe

Guest Moosenoodles

Your serious? you have all this lol , crumpets! thats good, ill let you know what its all for once were done, unless you have already figured it out :)...There is more to come though hehe, but ill let u settle in your own time and get that first part done..Most appreciated btw :) I can tell you luuuv ur 130's just from the effort hehehe...thanks again,James..

Guest TWVA395

>>A friend of mine fly's a 767 on his PC using a joystick, hits>ctrl E to start it, slews to the active, etc.. etc..>Everytime I see him fly, I wonder why he didn't just buy a>playstation 2.>Just remember: it's flight simulation... not before start / engine start simulator. :(http://www.kthxdone.com/images/kw_ft.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

I had a chance to take the C-130 for a 3 hour flight last night from Hill AFB, UT to Dyess AFB, TX. I climbed up to FL230 with 11,400 lbs of cargo and crew. I had 44,000 lbs of fuel on board as well for the trip. Now, first things first, I am primarily a C-130H and H1 FE. I do not have as much experience in the E model, but will be soon as more of them transfer into Dyess from all over. Needless to say, I have the performance data for an E model though, so I am not just throwing out numbers. The info I will give you will be based on what is figured for fuel burn, and typical cruise speeds, and I will also give you the performance that I saw while flying the Captain Sim C-130.For the first part, I will give you figures that I have for fuel burn rates and IAS cruise speeds. When I fly, I figure about 5,000 lbs of fuel burned the first hour. After the first hour, you can figure on about 4,000 lbs an hour. Sometimes this is more, sometimes it is less, but you cannot really go wrong with these numbers, I believe. Typical cruise speed in an E model is about 210-220 IAS, depending on winds, so I always figure the low end of 210 IAS. This is where my figures for an E model end, but even with the H1 that I primarily fly on, things should about even out. In an H1, you can figure about the same burn rates the first hour and after the first hour. However, in an H1, we typically cruise at 230 IAS.During my flight last night, in the CS C-130, which by the way, in the USAF liveries is supposed to be an E model, I was easily able to cruise at 230 KIAS right after level off. Fuel flow was showing right at 4,000 lbs per hour total. I understand that there are a lot of limitations at play with prop aircraft in FS, so some leeway is to be expected. I just want users of the aircraft to understand that what they see is not always how it is, though it is a very good attempt on the part of CS. Perhaps CS can tweak the .air files a little more though. Naturally, as I got lighter, I would expect the aircraft to be able to cruise at a slightly faster speed with the same power input, or at the same speed with less throttle. I kept an eye on aloft winds during the 3 hours, and only once did the winds ever really hinder me, and I only seen a penalty of about 2-4 knots. This is with ActiveSky Five Enhanced running. I never once saw my fuel burn rates increase though as a result of higher winds. Also, the fuel burn rates indicated 1,000 lbs per hour on each engine as I mentioned, but during the course of a 3 hour flight. The part that puzzled me though was that I only burned about 8700 lbs of fuel total. That would indicate that the PPH fuel burn indicated on the gauges are a bit off!I wish I knew a little more about programming parameters in the .air files in FS. I would get to work right away trying to tweak engine characteristics and performance. For example, in a C-130E, a reduced power takeoff is done at 900 degrees. Maximum Continuous Thrust with no time limit is 932 degrees, Military Power is 933-977 degrees for 30 minutes and Maximum Take-Off Power is 961-977 degrees for 5 minutes. I have sat at a runway at Sea Level in the CS C-130, and not been able to get the T.I.T. on these engines past about 950-960. Judging by this alone, I would have to assume that the engines are operating with T56-A-7 engines. The performance charts though say that the engines are T56-A-16 engines, which are the US Navy equivalent to the USAF T56-A-15 engines. A T56-A-15 is used in the C-130H on up until you get to the new J. Strange... As the CS C-130 climbs to higher altitudes, not only does its torque drop off as expected, but the T.I.T. drops off as well, even with maximum throttle input. This should not be, and it along with the maximum fuel burn of 1,000 PPH from about 3/4 throttle up to full throttle make some performance calculations a little hard to go off of with actual performance data. I would have to use a lot lower T.I.T. setting in the CS C-130 to get the performance of a higher T.I.T. in my performance manuals. I realize that this happens in FS aircraft all of the time, but I would have thought that Captain Sim would have been able to better utilize the tools that they had possession of (The performance manuals for the -16 engines) to make the performance of the plane better match the charted performance.The last thing I need to point out about performance in this aircraft is propeller and engine behavior. Captain Sim did a really great job of imitating real life in a C-130 if you dump the throttles. The performance dies off, just as one would expect. However, the lift produced by the props does not affect the aircraft that much. By this, I mean, that in the real thing, if you are at power and then pull the throttles back to idle, the plane will lose altitude. The lift produced on the wings by those four big props is a lot! The other critique is how the is affected when the pilot pushes the throttle up. On a real C-130, when the pilot flying pushes those throttles up, the power is there, no lag, no qualms about it, unless of course there is a problem. This is one thing that the Captain Sim C-130 does not imitate well at all in my opinion. It takes time for the power to develop. This again could be a limitation in the programming of FS, I don't know. Perhaps others could chime in here that have more experience in that area. This explains why when the brakes are released, the aircraft with just a basic crew on board and a normal load of fuel, does not start moving right away, unlike in the real thing. In a real C-130, very little input is needed from the throttles to get it moving, unless the aircraft is really weighed down, or is sitting on an incline. Again, maybe this is something that could be tweaked, maybe not.That is all I have for now, again. I seem to learn a little more about the bird everytime I fly her, both good and bad. Like others have pointed out though, there is great promise in this bird. Captain Sim is to be commended for at least listening to us beta testers the first time around. A lot of improvements were made, and it shows in the finished product. Personally, I think a little more could be done, but then again, that's because I have actual experience with the real thing. That is not to say that Captain Sim may not try to make the plane better. I will not get into that here, I just wanted to try and shed a little light on what I have learned from flying the Captain Sim Herk around for a few hours versus what I have experienced in flying around in a real Herk for more than a few hours. ChuckC-130E/H/H1 Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAMD 64 3700+ | ASUS A8V Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR400 Corsair TwinX 3200XLC2Pro | WD 120 gig HDD | WD 80 gig HDD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

"Just remember: it's flight simulation... not before start / engine start simulator. :P"-----------------------------------------------------------For $50 it has got to be RIGHT, sorry. Why accept a 'buggy' program anyway.Patience, while they (IF?) they sort it out, is the virtue.Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png