Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

flight planning the B777 and PFPX

Hi Everyone

Love the PMDG B777 but recently having problems with the planning side in PFPX.

Since the last update of PFPX I am having issues with the flight plan asking for weird climbs and descents in the middle of the route.  I have checked and there is no route restrictions yet PFPX is sometimes commanding a 6000 foot descent and less than 100 miles later commanding a climb back to the original level.

Does anyone else see this behavior?

Got to say I do not like these min cost, min fuel, min time options as there does not seem to be any explanation of what these calculations are predicated on and I am not convinced some of these errors are in some way caused by this.

Can anyone else comment on the likely causes.

Regards

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Since the last update of PFPX I am having issues with the flight plan asking for weird climbs and descents in the middle of the route.  I have checked and there is no route restrictions yet PFPX is sometimes commanding a 6000 foot descent and less than 100 miles later commanding a climb back to the original level.

This is more of a question for the developers of PFPX, no?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi,

The default option in the aircraft section "Plan Altitude/FL" is min cost.

Try to set it to "None" and compute your flight plan again to see if you still have these weird descent/climb.

I have got the same if I set it to min time.

I'm not convinced by these options of optimizations too in pfpx. I find the results usually strange and sometimes counterproductive so I always set to none and optimize the route and FL manually.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Thanks for the reply Romain, if you need to close or remove the post Kyle i understand.  i just wanted to know if other PMDG users were seeing the same.

regards

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

In PFPX I generally set the "step climb" value to "0" and I never have this issue.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

if you need to close or remove the post Kyle i understand.

No need. Just didn't want people getting the wrong idea about who would need to address issues with PFPX.

Kyle Rodgers

In PFPX I generally set the "step climb" value to "0" and I never have this issue.

But then you get no step climbs at all.  Its just they seem to have gone totally nuts in the plans it is producing at the moment.

I am also aware that the FMC will tell me when the optimum time is to step climb but PFPX was always pretty close until recently.

Cheers

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

Hi Tim,

As mentioned above, this is almost certainly to do with the optimisations section of PFPX, which is a bit buggy I think.

If you select 'none' in the optimisationa drop down, as Romain says, you should still get the normal step climbs (assuming your route is long enough etc) but without the large number of level changes.

But then you get no step climbs at all.  Its just they seem to have gone totally nuts in the plans it is producing at the moment.

I am also aware that the FMC will tell me when the optimum time is to step climb but PFPX was always pretty close until recently.

Cheers

Tim Carter

My apologies, Tim. I misinterpreted your problem. I thought you didn't want to do any step climbs, which is why I suggested you set it to "0". 

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Has any one received incorrect fuel plans? I have received "insufficient fuel" notices twice in the 777, although I do not received any warnings while planning flights in PFPX...

Nevermind... found the answer I was looking for. :D

Rodney E. Jacobs

Nevermind... found the answer I was looking for. :D

Winds aloft in the FMC I guess?  :wink:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Winds aloft in the FMC I guess?

I would guess they were probably tailwinds in PFPX but 000/00 in the FMC.