Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

How much would it cost to start a one man one aircraft charter company?

I'm NOT talking about NetJets or something like that, I'm talking something more like;

1 owner/pilot

2 plane, maybe a single engine piston or twin

3. no fbo, just working from cell phone and internet, self marketing, etc

aside from having to get your ATP and all of that..

how much would it cost?

I mean the plane, yes, but do you have to pay extra fees, to get your plane to FAR 135 requirements?

and I know, you would have your insurance and other monthly expenses, I'm not talking about that. I would like an amount to start.

Should a person have 100K or more like 1-5 million?  The millions seems a bit to high for a one man show that I'm talking about..

oh, for realworld refference look at this: http://www.roseair.com/  and no I have no connections whatsoever.

Ciao!

A bit OT, I heard on the radio there is Uber for airplanes now. Interesting (crazy) times.

Far as startup cost, sorry, I have no clue.

Hello, Brian,

It is very difficult to put a start-up price on a Single-Pilot Part 135 operation.

The cost can range from $100,000 to so much more. Everything is predicated on the aircraft, the mechanical status of the aircraft, where the aircraft is kept, flight training, insurance, cost of required manuals.

A single-engine aircraft will obviously be less expensive to start with. But, must meet the needs of the majority of your potential clients, or you will lose business (more than 4 seats, respectable range with payload, speed, etc.) Such as the A36 or B36TC Bonanza, the Piper Lance, or the Cessna 210 Centurion.

The aircraft must meet FAR Part 135 specifications and those costs can vary as required to meet those specifications. Hence, purchasing an aircraft that has been Part 135 would be a good start.

You could look into buying a Part 135 certificate that has already been approved to offset some of the expense and time. If you start from scratch, it can take over a year to have your certificate approved, depending on which region of the country you live in. Our region was taking anywhere from 8 months to well over a year for the certification of a Part 135 operation.

There is a lot involved in even a Single-Pilot Part 135 operation to get off the ground, even while being the least restrictive and labor intensive way to start a Part 135 operation. Patience will indeed be a virtue. Good luck on your endeavors.