Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What's are the big differences between ASN vs AS16?

So, I bit the bullet and upgraded to AS16 and ASCA (plus EnvTex) and I must say flying in true IMC conditions is night and day compared to ASN. I must have set something wrong when I tried the demo earlier, because, while ASN is nice, this is even better. I flew the RNP Rwy 4R into KMDW and ceilings were just above minimums. There was no coming in and out of clouds. It was pure white outside the windows and when I broke out of the soup it was amazing to see the pure blanket of clouds above me. I also really like the ASCA cloud textures. I was using REX soft clouds before and liked them but I think I personally like these even better. I use the 512 px ASCA textures and they look really nice even at that resolution. The dynamic weather is also really cool and transitions are hardly noticeable. AS16+ASCA+EnvTex is really a great combo. I'm glad I upgraded.

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Now that's my kind of flying - yeah - sums up my experience as well... I always use the lowest resolution cloud textures as I just think they look more realistic... Enjoy...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi...

It's an option in the ENVTEX user interface...

Regards,

Scott

I know.. But the manual says that ASCA+ENVTEX option is for Sky. What selection do you use for sky/clouds in ASCA and ENVTEX? All selected both in ASCA and ENVTEX?

Greetings,

I never used any kind of weather addon in my life, and well I decided to reenter the fsx world again, and well I want to do it good, so I downloaded AS16 and I tested it and it was a positive experience, the effect of passing through clous was amazing, the turbulence were more realistic, capacity off dowload real weather was cool to, but after reading so many post Im still confuse, AS16 from where I saw is a weather engine as ASN, but my conclusion from all I read ASN got something that now is missing from AS16 but is present in ASCA, so far I undertand that ASCA is textures + something else and ASN minus the something else is the equivalent of AS16, can somebody tell me what is the adittional functionality of ASCA that is no longer present in AS16 but it was present in ASN.

Also I read that the SoftClouds textures are really good and you can mix AS16 + ASCA + SoftClouds, now my questions is: if AS16 is a weather engine and sofclouds is the textures why you need ASCA?

Thank in advance for your responses.

ASCA allows you to have dynamic weather in your simulator.  So you can leave a sunny Ibiza and land conditions that require an autoland

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

ASCA allows you to have dynamic weather in your simulator.  So you can leave a sunny Ibiza and land conditions that require an autoland

But thing I don't understand, if with as16 download real weather, and in the real weather it says that Ibiza is sunny and London is rainy, the weather will not change during the fly?

Hi...

Yeah - it did that before - what's different is it applies the best texture set to accomodate changes in weather - so - theoretically - with the different textures being injected live into the sim - you should see even more dramatic changes as the weather changes...

Regards,

Scott

I also have similar questions. I am also choosing among all the weather engines and textures. Will the function or texture overlap when using ASCA and ENVTEX at the same time? Or how do they cooperate?

BTW, REX skyforce 3D was announced last year but so far no more info? Seems it's great, too!

Iching Lee from Taiwan

I also have similar questions. I am also choosing among all the weather engines and textures. Will the function or texture overlap when using ASCA and ENVTEX at the same time? Or how do they cooperate?

BTW, REX skyforce 3D was announced last year but so far no more info? Seems it's great, too!

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I finally made my choice and I bought AS16 with REX Soft Clouds, and Im very happy with the result, Using the function of real weather in AS16 I took off from JFK with clear skies and landed in chicago with total overcast, I guess ASCA and the dynamic textures really do their job when you are choosing the weather you want to fly, but with real weather I still dont found the use for ASCA, but Im not expert in these software's so better wait for other ones opinions.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Do you know if ENVTEX can work with other Addon such as AS16 or ASCA?

Iching Lee from Taiwan