Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Aerofly FS 2 major update with VR and LNAV/VNAV support

You could try outside of VR. Honestly I'm just curious as to whether you're getting enough frames to support it.

On this reddit post I saw another person with a 970 who seemed to be having some luck. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ueg04/aerofly_fs_2_flight_simulator_with_preliminary/

It works very smoothly and in Ultra scenery mode outside of VR.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

It works very smoothly and in Ultra scenery mode outside of VR.

Well since that thread was regarding VR, I was assuming he had it working well on his 970, somehow.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just so I'm clear. I was asked to indicate what the fps is in VR and I couldn't get the fps by shift f1. Won't show up. 

Now insofar as the VR is concerned, like the link of the person noted above it certainly requires adjustment in terms of settings i.e, a fair amount as compared to the non-vr mode where I can max things out. In the VR mode I get some some pulling or lagging which I imagine if played with too long would likely result in me getting motion sickness.

I must say, the VR experience in terms of the gauges is much better than P3D.  That is, much more readable.

I have a question regarding control though. How can one manipulate the controls in the VR mode? The mouse is not showing up in the cockpit.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So since VR is the future would you guys think its better than a 3 monitor setup and trackIR?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

So since VR is the future would you guys think its better than a 3 monitor setup and trackIR?

As it sits now VR still is in it's infancy so depending on how good your 3 monitor setup is (like 3 50" or larger each driven by its own dedicated 1080 card), multi monitors may still be better....however...I feel VR will be the ONLY way to fly a few years from now when the technology catches up...both hard and software wise.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Warning. Been flying for years all the FS series, now P3D and X-Plane and now AFS2 as well. Spent lots of money.Flown with 1 screen, 2 screens, 3 screens.But now I have problems going back quite frankly. In fact I feel cheated playing in a 2D world.

The fact of the matter is that when you're in VR YOU are IN the cockpit. It surrounds you just as you would in real life. You can get up and sit in the jump seat or in the co-pilots seat. You look out the window at your wings and you feel the length, size. One of the great aspects is flying commercial aircrafts in this case the 737 or the airbus I've been doing in AFS2. In 2D flying you don't really get a sense of height. When you're taxing or on the runway ready for takeoff it feels like a sports car not a plane where you are several feet over the tarmac. In VR you very much feel you are in a big plane several feet over the tarmac. All the perspectives and height are there. The speed as that big plane is going down the runway you feel it. Same goes with any other aircraft, GA etc.

Bottom line, if you do make the jump warning because it will be hard to go back. Now is there room for improvement. Certainly in resolution and facility in manipulating gauges, dials etc. But conversely, there is nothing from the 2D environment which can come close.

• Upvote 1

Just an update on VR flying. I've basically gotten rid of the judder - turn vsync off in AFS2 and don't use the  oculus debug tool - the pixels per display pixels override. Leave at 0.0.

I took up the 747 and in VR just incredible. On the runway ready for takeoff that felt like I was in a huge plane towering over the runway. When you go on the outside views what a feeling of bigness - the wings, body of the plane. Great job guys implementing VR. I also bought the Swiss VFR pack really nice. 

• Upvote 1

Just an update on VR flying. I've basically gotten rid of the judder - turn vsync off in AFS2 and don't use the  oculus debug tool - the pixels per display pixels override. Leave at 0.0.

I took up the 747 and in VR just incredible. On the runway ready for takeoff that felt like I was in a huge plane towering over the runway. When you go on the outside views what a feeling of bigness - the wings, body of the plane. Great job guys implementing VR. I also bought the Swiss VFR pack really nice. 

I'm kind of leaning towards possibly getting the Vive. I can't even imagine what it must look like to be over the Grand canyon in 3D in Aerofly........

Devons rig

I will not consider it anytime soon, for being expensive, and also because of interaction with the instrument panel ... How do you do that ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I will not consider it anytime soon, for being expensive, and also because of interaction with the instrument panel ... How do you do that ?

There is a front facing camera on the vive that let's you look around.

Devons rig

Pointer interaction not available for VR but I'm sure we can expect it. 

POINTER NOW available in game! YEAH! Great job guys. Way more functional and easy to manipulate the gauges, switches than P3D implentation of VR. You guys are taking it to another level. Can't wait for increased complexity in-cab for the big planes like FMC etc.

New update has gotten rid of the VR juddering. Very smooth now!