Hi,

after years of "hibernation" I decide to come back to flight simming

I will go to use Prepar3d

Currently I have this configuration

I7-3930K @ 4.1

ATI 5870 (I used for fsx) that will be replaced by a GTX 1070

monitor: dell 2410 (HD) but probably I will go to a WQHD in the future

I read that the cpu is still very imoprtant I have some questions

1- as I have many add-on for prepar3d (i own it with regular license don't worry) is my cpu enough?

2- for prepa3d install folder is bettef an ssd? And for the add-on? Size?

3- what I can expect by scenery density?

Regards from Italy

Ugo

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1- as I have many add-on for prepar3d (i own it with regular license don't worry) is my cpu enough?
2- for prepa3d install folder is bettef an ssd? And for the add-on? Size?
3- what I can expect by scenery density?

Your system is capable of running P3D but the thing you will have to be concerned about is Virtual Address Space (VAS).  Microsoft Windows only gives 64 bit users 4GB's.  Back in the old FSX days we had to keep our sliders down a bit in order to get it to run around 20-30 FPS.  The problems today is everyone thinks they have fast systems (and they do) so they think they can crank up P3D settings plus any of the addon's setting.  High settings might work with a flight around an hour or two but more than that you risk running out of memory (VAS).  The more eye-candy software addon you have, the more likely you'll see crashes if you don't keep your settings down.

An SSD will give you faster load times but I do not think you'll see any significant performance boost while running P3D.

Scenery density.  I would keep it normal or dense.  Nothing higher.  Depends how long the flight and the other addon's you will have enabled.  If you have the PMDG 777 with PMDG's777, flying over photographic scenery, into eye-candy commercial scenery airports and with AS16 running, you won't get far. 

The enjoyment of flight simulation, at least for me, is to learn the various systems on an aircraft.  Pilots don't spend too much time sight-seeing and trying to find people sitting on top of buildings.  They are too busy making sure the aircraft is flying properly.  I personally enjoy learning the various types of flight management.  I learned the G1000 recently and I'm very proficient with the FMC in the 737, 767, 777, and 747.  Of course it gets a bit more daunting when you have real world weather simulated by weather programs like OPUS and Active Sky.

If you every have a crash, I highly recommend the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature).  It provides some suggestions on how to avoid crashes and what to do if you do get one. 

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Jim

I learned the G1000 recently and I'm very proficient with the FMC in the 737, 767, 777, and 747. 

Jim, you need a little Airbus in your life.  :smile:

You're right Greg.  :dance:  Uh, maybe someday soon....  Well, I have to check out the new PMDG 747 when it's released first.  Thanks for the suggestion. :smile:

Best regards,