Sign in to follow this  
Antioch

Just joined - Windows or Linux?

Hi to everybody

This is my first post to this forum and I am seeking some help/advice with regards to a new computer and operating system.

I do not consider myself a ‘gamer’ but I do like MS flight simulators.  I currently have FS 2002 & FSX Standard.  I did have FS 2004, which I let a grandson have, but a disc got damaged and I did not bother to replace it.

I also have British Airports and VFR Scenery for most of the UK. All worked well in 2002 and 2004 – no good for FSX.

I currently play on a desktop with Win XP SP3, which is not connected to the Internet, so I do not do any on-line flying with others.

I have a cheap and cheerful laptop with Win 7, which is not capable of running the simulators.

The desktop was built in 2007 and still has its original Pentium 4, motherboard and memory card.  I am on my third hard drive and second GPU.  I replaced the GTX 9800 with a cheap one [just about works with 2002 but no good with FSX] as I was looking at a new system.  Well that was nearly three years ago. But personal reasons have rather delayed any new system.  The MB I fear is on borrowed time. If that goes then I will the EULA problem with my WinXP.

My main problem is what OS? If I go Linux it is not compatible with FS.

I can still get Win7 but that will have all support removed in a couple of years.  I certainly do not want Win10. I have been completely put off by their cynical marketing practices.  I have had and have enough almost weekly probs with the free upgrade being shoved down my throat. I fit had not been for the MS Forums and my computer magazine, I would have dumped my laptop.

I am aware of other simulators that will run well in Linux, but the general opinion here and elsewhere is that it is not yet as good as MS FS.

Also I know that DS has the MS Licence for fight simulators and has released a ‘Steam’ edition.  Will this also only run on Windows?

I now hope I have posted in the right place.

Rgds

I now hope I have posted in the right place.

You have since you are a newcomer (or are you??).  You sound like another member we use to have on-board.  Nevertheless, I hope you can find the answers to your questions.

I am aware of other simulators that will run well in Linux

I suspect you are talking about simulators other than flight.  I have too heard about other simulators that run well in Linux.

Also I know that DS has the MS Licence for fight simulators and has released a ‘Steam’ edition. Will this also only run on Windows?

Are you talking about Dovetail Simulations?  The one that released FSX-SE?  The one where we have several forums on AVSIM which discusses Dovetail products?  Yes, FSX-SE will only run on Windows too.  As far as I know, no flight simulator works on Linux and AVSIM is about simulators, mainly flight simulators.  We do discuss other simulators but that is usually done in our Hangar Chat as we do not have a specific forum of interest for other simulators.  The hangar chat is as if you walked into an aircraft hangar and you started talking to the people inside and you ask them something like, "hey!, what's a good car simulator?  I'm want to learn how to drive cars".   And you will get an appropriate response.

I am staying with Windows 7, probably forever.  Many, not here, in the world still use Windows XP even though there is no support from Microsoft (i.e., no security updates) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978307.  We have several forums here on AVSIM that discuss Windows 10 and Windows 7.  IMHO, Windows 7 is Windows XP with bugs fixed and some updated features.

If you want to run FSX or FSX-SE, you probably should upgrade your laptop or get a powerful desktop system.  Games require powerful systems for the best enjoyment.  Otherwise you will not enjoy the experience and you will waste a lot of money.  You can almost get a computer system for less than $50 that would be 3-4 times the power of your current system (but still slightly underpowered).  But you have to start somewhere...

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you for your reply  I am up late watching the Olympics opening ceremony.

You have since you are a newcomer (or are you??).  You sound like another member we use to have on-board.  Nevertheless, I hope you can find the answers to your questions.

I don't ever remember registering with this forum - it would have been 15 years ago - or more.  But I was a frequent subscriber to the old newsgroups until MS pulled the plug and used the same 'username'.

I suspect you are talking about simulators other than flight.  I have too heard about other simulators that run well in Linux.

Then I must have been misinformed.

Are you talking about Dovetail Simulations?  The one that released FSX-SE?  The one where we have several forums on AVSIM which discusses Dovetail products?  Yes, FSX-SE will only run on Windows too.  As far as I know, no flight simulator works on Linux and AVSIM is about simulators, mainly flight simulators.  We do discuss other simulators but that is usually done in our Hangar Chat as we do not have a specific forum of interest for other simulators.  The hangar chat is as if you walked into an aircraft hangar and you started talking to the people inside and you ask them something like, "hey!, what's a good car simulator?  I'm want to learn how to drive cars".   And you will get an appropriate response.

Yes - did not mention the name - have made that mistake on other forums.

I am staying with Windows 7, probably forever.  Many, not here, in the world still use Windows XP even though there is no support from Microsoft (i.e., no security updates) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978307.  We have several forums here on AVSIM that discuss Windows 10 and Windows 7.  IMHO, Windows 7 is Windows XP with bugs fixed and some updated features.

At this time Win7 appears to be the favourite on the MS forums for FS.

Lots of the UK Government departments, Police, Health Service, etc still use it and pay heavily for continued support.  It looks as if I have no other choice but to go for Win7.  It has been suggested that if I keep my current HD with XP on it and attach it to a new computer, I may be able to 'fool' MS UK into giving me an activation number by saying I have had to replace the MB - its a long shot.

If you want to run FSX or FSX-SE, you probably should upgrade your laptop or get a powerful desktop system.  Games require powerful systems for the best enjoyment.  Otherwise you will not enjoy the experience and you will waste a lot of money.  You can almost get a computer system for less than $50 that would be 3-4 times the power of your current system (but still slightly underpowered).  But you have to start somewhere...

Yes. I cannot upgrade the laptop - its very basic - only used for email and office work - still using Office 2000 with Compatibility. Did you mean $500 not $50????  Where can I post my proposed new system?  Hardware & Operating etc? I note in your system specs you have a Dell 24" - is it the 2412m. one I would like.......................

Did you mean $500 not $50???? Where can I post my proposed new system?

I think you can get faster computers for around $50.  Maybe easier at $100 but people are always upgrading their "old" systems.  Here's a site in the UK - http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/desktop-computers.  These are systems that were new back when FSX was first released.  It would be better if you could find a good i5 2500 or i5 2600 system but you might have to pay a bit more for those.

Or, if you know how to build computers, you could search for just parts and they would be better by 3-4 times what you have now (and with a Windows 7 operating system included!!).  Of course, if you had a little more it would be easier to find systems but the Internet is filled with deals.  You just have to look.  I know here in the States, the individuals who sell indicate free shipping because people won't buy it if they have to pay for shipping.  I see in the UK they do that too.

We also have a Classified Ads Forum where members here list computers and stuff for sale.  You might want to check it out too.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Further to the above I have at last got close to making a decision, but I would like to have confirmed, that my proposed new configured desktop is suitable for running all MS Flight Sims.

Yes, it has been a while since my last post - have been trying a few options but it has come down to havint to use MS 7 as my operating system.

Rgds

Antioch

Hi Antioch,

Just a recap of the sims that are out there that are still being used..

FS2004 still being supported by freeware developers

FSX still being supported by freeware & payware developers, has optional Acceleration add-on pack

FSX:SE (or Steam version) basically same as FSX, BUT modified to run better on moderd/newer PC's.

Dovetail Gaming (DTG) has the distributorship & modded FSX, but development is frozen now.

P3D or Prepar3d, Microsoft's commercial version of FSX, very much modded with ongoing development,

sold 'Not for entertainment' by Lockheed Martin as a training tool.

Then there is a Flight School from DTG, for newbies. No add-ons, with a new Simulation coming out whenever they decide.

So, for the more older PC's, I do recommend FS2004, it just works on not so fancy PC's. FSX, well, it has been said that people spend more time tweaking than flying! :smile: 

:hi: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Hi Robin

Thanks for your info. Dont forget X-Plane/Rise of Flight?  To my mind inferior. Don't laugh but I read about Steam but read it as Stream?

My first FS was 1998 - I bought a new computer in 1997 and had tried a few small sims.  Then a neighbour's son introduce me to 2002 [as well as newsgroups - oh those were the days].  I later bought a new computer with higher specs to handle 2004 together with some UK airports and scenery.

When I got FSX, despite MS's minimum requirements, this struggled at a low frame rate with most things off or right down.

I still have this computer running 2002 & 2004.  Two years ago the GPU went and I bought a cheap one as a stop-gap.

2002 is fine but 2004 suffers. This computer is still running XP!

I gave the 98 away to a grandson together with Combat Flight.

So now after much dithering and a few unforseen delays of a personal matter, I am back in the game. I still have my MS Force Feedback 2 but the handle has gone sticky and one button does not work.  So I am looking for a new stick. What is favourite at the moment?

I have pasted what is perhaps my final system items in the hope of getting some feedback. I will not mention why I have this or that in the configuration.

I note your reference to tweeking and not playing - I have my own opinions as to that situation. I may have a solution which invloves a little 'con' with MS.

Rgds

Antioch

[Richard]

Case
Case-BitFenix Comrade

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6400[2.7GHz] 6MB Cache

OR

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard-must have a 4 pin connection for cooling system.
ASUS® H110M-R: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

OR

ASUS® Z170-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP

Hard Disk
120GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY

OR

Corsair 550W VS Series™ VS-550 power supply

Processor Cooling
Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler

OR

Any other quiet cooling system that will cope with the hardware in the case. Must have 4 pin connection on MB

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£109)

Cost to build between £790 £ £850